Carlton Continental

ollyb83

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Picked this up today as it was a bargain.

Sorry for crappy photos, better ones up tomorrow.

Been sat in a garden for the last year un used, before that who knows.

140720121413.jpg

From what i can tell its all original, bar the seat which is a newish one.

Its the rear mech that drew my attention.

140720121414.jpg

Anyone with any info on carlton cycles that can give some info on this model would be of help.

Thinking of a resto on this.

The first thing I would do is find the frame number, then look at this site to get a date/age for it:

http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/dating.htm

If it is one of the newer (>1960 or so) Continentals then it will be plain gauge steel and an interesting project but not light.

Post 1960 you are going to run into the problem of the bike having Raliegh threads for BB and headset.

I can't quite see properly from your photos, but it looks like he paintwork might be the coloured lacquer over chrome, which is a pain to restore but can look amazing when done.

That rear mech does look interesting.

Interesting, always nice to see one of these. The Benelux 'dancing chain' type rear mech is a nice find is it a 4 or 5 speed block can't tell from the pictures. These can be a little tricky to set up as they are made for only the correct number of sprockets, they work in the opposite direction at the lever end, so all the way forward is low and all the way back is top. I can give you some indications on how to adjust. Doe the frame have a number? this is usually located at the rear stay, the back of the seat tube or sometimes on the BB shell. It needs some work but should be a worthwhile restoration. Frame will just be plain steel, nothing special but tough and serviceable.

Looks to be late 50 early 60s in date - the frame number will tell us as it should have a letter prefix.

Look forward to seeing some more images.

Thanks for the replies :)

I've had a look over the frame this morning, cant find a serial number yet, but once i get it to my parents into the workshop, i'll strip it down and give it a good de-greasing, hopefully its hidden under all the grime on the bb.

Chrome frame under the transparent paint/lacquer. looks lovely when new but not the most hardwiring of finishes. Carlton called this 'Acrylichrome' Looks like it has standard Carlton lugs too.

Looks like a Williams chain set and Weinmann type 730 brakes. Its going to need a lot of work but the frame is the key if that could be restored to the same finish this could look stunning. Just my view as Im a bit of a Carlton nut anyway. A real challenge and longer term project this one.

If it is from the '50s then the serial number will be on the non-drive side rear drop out.

I agree with Spkesmann, the paint job will be an absolute pain to restore, the options would be:
1) strip the top coat, clean up the chrome then have it re-lacquered with coloured lacquer
2) strip it completely and have it re-painted in a different colour
3) clean it up (gently) and live the little imperfections that make it what it is.

1 and 2 will be expensive, 3 less so (a bottle of T-Cut wax and a HUGE tub of elbow grease will see you through that!)

I'll try cleaning and t-cutting the frame first, then take it from there.

Took her for a ride this morning, as she is. Pumped up the tyres and they held air fine, freed the seized gear cable and aligned the front brake.

Did about 5 mile on road, for a bike this age, in this state she rode perfect, bit of a grumble from the front brake and gears, nothing a good service cant solve.

The bike is now at my dads workshop, so tomorrow night the strip and clean begins, hopefully uncovering the serial number.

my plan is to strip and rebuild so shes working fine and fully ride able,
then decided what to do after riding for a few weeks to get used to a road bike again.

Back