New arrival, Panasonic DX3000

retro-rich

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
New eBay purchase. I've been looking for one for a while and they don't seem to come up often, I don't think it's worth a huge amount as at best I think it's mid range, but it seems very light and looks great. The downtube shifters are indexed so it might be a good one to get me used to dt shifters.

The headset was completely loose, could undo it by hand, previous owner has touched up some scrapes which is a shame as looks like they've gone over the fork decals, would like to get those back if possible. There is a colnago logo sticker on the head tube for some reason, not sure why that's there lol.

The ratchet click on the rear hub sounds fantastic, I'm not familiar with these hubs or rims though, any good?

I suspect this is late eighties or early nineties.

258512f2.jpg

Tange 2 tubing, and top routed cables
3858554a.jpg

dfca99b3.jpg

Sansin hubs

b26ce663.jpg

Not sure if the tyres are original

5193a161.jpg

Araya rims

e484bdb1.jpg

7823ac9b.jpg

560e5f72.jpg

I doubt the saddle is original, looks like a bontrager one I had on a hybrid once
2bda93b6.jpg

Is the mech el cheapo? Looks nice though and indexes fine

e5c9d920.jpg

80af9735.jpg

Are these stripes the original decal?

67b6d762.jpg

Forks have been patched up sadly

46a97e86.jpg

I do know that in the late 80s the Panasonic pro team raced Colnagos and that some of them were actually top-secret Panasonic prototypes, but I doubt this is one of them.

In the Panasonic Virtual Bicycle Museum are many catalogs present. I find your bike in the 1987 US catalog :) >>>

http://panasonicbikemuseum.info/archive ... c-bicycles

I'm liking that. Looks entry level rather than mid-range imo. Nice though and certainly something that will bring you miles of smiles.

Looks like the fork decals have been removed in the pics rather than painted over.. If theyve been sprayed over then you may be able to remove them with some WD40 and a hairdryer, although it may not work though paint, then T-Cut like mad. Other than that remove and respray.

Wheels are budget but still reasonably good. If you're going to upgrade it that would be where I'd start.

Anyway just looks like it needs a new brake lever and a clean and you'll have yourself a great retro bike there.

Not sure if the tyres are original - Tyres are certainly not original! Would probably have had gumwall (I'll have to check that catalogue that Elev linked to)

I doubt the saddle is original, looks like a bontrager one I had on a hybrid once - as above. A nice black Turbo would look great or a Turbomatic with it's yellow inserts would look even better! Clamp on the Laprade post is a bit nasty.

e5c9d920.jpg

Yeah this was the budget indexed mech, I always quite liked it and it works fine. The skewers on the wheels (front and rear) should both be on the non drive side. Get a crimp on the end of that cable too

67b6d762.jpg

Very unlikely. Your brakes have also been set up with the quick release released.

Elev12k":2h0ox0mu said:
I do know that in the late 80s the Panasonic pro team raced Colnagos and that some of them were actually top-secret Panasonic prototypes, but I doubt this is one of them.

In the Panasonic Virtual Bicycle Museum are many catalogs present. I find your bike in the 1987 US catalog :) >>>

http://panasonicbikemuseum.info/archive ... c-bicycles

'Top secret panasonic prototype', now I like the sound of that! But i doubt it :)

1987 is a great year, I'd have been about 12, and would have loved to have had this as a ride for my teenage years :)

Many thanks for that link, always nice to see the original spec. Apart from the bright tyres and saddle looks mostly original, although with the components being fairly low range I won't worry about keeping it as is and may well upgrade here and there.

Tel":1wbwc1en said:
Not sure if the tyres are original - Tyres are certainly not original! Would probably have had gumwall (I'll have to check that catalogue that Elev linked to)

I doubt the saddle is original, looks like a bontrager one I had on a hybrid once - as above. A nice black Turbo would look great or a Turbomatic with it's yellow inserts would look even better! Clamp on the Laprade post is a bit nasty.

Yeah this was the budget indexed mech, I always quite liked it and it works fine. The skewers on the wheels (front and rear) should both be on the non drive side. Get a crimp on the end of that cable too

Very unlikely. Your brakes have also been set up with the quick release released.

Thanks Tel.

The catalogue shows Panaracer gum walls, makes sense really doesn't it. If i do decide to go back to those SJS do some Schwalbe 25c gum walls that look quite nice.
Not sure whats going on with the clamp now i look at the picture, looks like the top clamp missing? will have a closer look tomorrow.
I thought something looked wrong, clear now the qr's are wrong side :)
Looking at the catalogue I think that I can make out those stripes on the headtube, hopefully i can get rid of that Colnago decal but will likely lift whats underneath also.

It was used as a commuter for several years then sat in a garage, given the obvious problems and the fact the headset was so loose, I'm going to fully strip it and rebuild before riding (OK i might have a wizz round the block).

Lookslike the fork decals were in black, the seller gave me the paints he'd used to fill in the scratches with, I think he may have removed the decals and painted over :(

How do these frames stand up to heavy riders? Are they as strong as 531?

I think it looks like this under the sticker on the headtube >>>

130857867_845cd6dc41_m.jpg

Tange #2 is quality tubing and comparable with 531 butted. Build quality should be flawless with Panasonics normally. It is a fine frame for stronger/heavier riders.

Tel":cems21br said:

67b6d762.jpg

Here is what the proper head tube decal would look like for your DX-3000 (albeit in black)

101_9468.jpg

The bike appears to be pretty nice and original aside from the saddle, tires, and head tube decal. It even has the original bar wrap from what I can tell. It looks as if your serial number begins in 7G which points to a July of 1987 production date.

Back