My 1982 Raleigh Rapide 12 Copperbike

chumlypogward

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone - love the site, it is right up my street...

Here is my Raleigh copperbike, I picked it up in original but rough condition intending to tidy it up mechanically and use it as my weekend warrior bike, however the paint was in extremely poor condition so I decided to get it plated instead...

I would fill out the cheat sheet but it is bog standard apart from the 175mm SR cranks that replaced the 170's, The slightly shorter stem and a new brooks B17 copper saddle.

It rides absolutely beautifully, and I think it looks fantastic...

(Sorry for the toolbag and bottle, I am trying to find better replacements as we speak)

Copperbike1.jpg

Copperbike2.jpg

I raced a copper plated Woodrup with chrome forks in the mid 70's I had mine highly polished and laquered. There's a picture on here somewhere LOL

Shaun

Sweet bike ^

That Samurai Cycles bike was an inspiration for this one, the patina is coming along nicely... I am not much for shiny thing so coating it to preserve the fresh plating wasn't an option!

I had the plating done at a local place here in Christchurch, to get it stripped and plated cost NZ$120 which is about 60 pound.

I have a bit of a fetish for unusual finishes on bikes, I have a zinc plated one for my commuter and a gun blued single speed as well.

chumlypogward":1cjk0od9 said:
I have a bit of a fetish for unusual finishes on bikes, I have a zinc plated one for my commuter and a gun blued single speed as well.

I think we need to see pictures of these too!

was8v":3qi1pn46 said:
I think we need to see pictures of these too!

Alright then, here is the gun blued bike.

It started as a Tarini Tange 2 bare frame, I just threw bits at it until it looked ok. Still want to change a few things like the SS setup, looks a bit budget IMO. Plus the forks are not original, I am thinking of making a new set for it.

This is so sweet to ride, and is ridiculously light. I love how you can see the brazing through the finish. It has a coat of beeswax over the top of the bluing to give it a bit more protection....

- Wolber profil 18 rims, Shimano 600 hubs, aero spokes
- Velo Orange Porteur bars
- Odd/unknown stem (someone might be able to tell me what it is)
- old brooks something saddle
- NOS Campag crankset that I just put on
- Diacomp brakes
- Tektro levers
- grips made from old work boots and copper wire
- random pedals that probably need replacing with something proper.

Gunmetal001.jpg

Gunmetal002.jpg

Gunmetal003.jpg

Gunmetal004.jpg

Gunmetal005.jpg

Gunmetal006.jpg

Gunmetal007.jpg

Gunmetal008.jpg

Gunmetal010.jpg

@ chumlypogward

that stem is a Giant designed by Mike Burrows, they came on the first Giant TCR´s, also famous, are the Giant Wheels with thick carbon spokes, and the Carbon Aero seat-post.
Mike Burrows is famous because of the Lotus Type 108 time trial bike and other innovative designs.

Love it!

Hi, i love the look of that copper bike! already looking into getting one of mine done! would it not go green after time in wet weather etc?

Back