Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:55 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:08 am 
Dirt Disciple

You could always run a 7-of-8 or 8-of-9 setup by binning one ring on the rear cassette of an 8 or 9 speed in order to get it to fit on a 7-speed freehub.

Post subject: Re: rear end
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:11 pm 
Retro Guru

I'm doing the same with some 600 130mm hubs in a 126mm frame. I fitted a shorter axle and removed an axle spacer......not fitted it yet, so not sure whether i will need to redish...

531 pro wrote:
I've been pondering about the best way to get a modern hub inside my non-modern frame. I was going to build another set of wheels myself, based around modern ultegra hubs. I notice that beneath the flashy decals they are just normal cup and cone jobs, and that I can loose about 5mm in the left hand spacer that is normally fitted, shortening the axle to take it down from 130mm to 125mm. I also have access to workshop facilities, so I could even thin down the lock nuts a little bit if required. Not sure if that will do the wheel dish many favours, but we'll see. That's the thought at the moment! You are right, i need to be a bit circumspect about this here 753 frame material!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:10 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Evening all

Well, the Perthus is up and running - and very very nice it is too! I've currently built it up out of random odds and ends as a kind of 'everyday' racer, and its already taken part in the Barrmill APR road race. It stood up to the rigours of competition far better than I did! I will do a proper restoration at some point, but the chrome and everything makes it a pricey proposition and, to be honest, I just wanted to get out and ride it! Maybe next winter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:22 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice, i've always had an irrational fetish for 80's top end peugeots too...hence my newly acquired SLX!