'96 Colnago Master Olympic build

Rolling Thunder

Retro Guru
Just managed to get hold of this Colnago Master Olympic frameset. It's NOS, never been ridden.

After thinking long and hard, then coming across a Planet-X crazy sale, I'm going with Campagnolo Athena 11 speed Alloy groupset.

For wheels I have two sets. One is an NOS Campagnolo Scirocco 20 set, and the other is a set of Red Ambrosio Excellence (36h) that will be laced to Ambrosio Zenith hubs with Sapim race spokes.

I've a couple of NOS Colnago Quill stems (120mm & 125mm), so the only thing I'm missing now is a set of bars. Ideally I'd like to go with Gimondi Criterium bars (44cm, 26.0) or something very similar to that.

Big thanks to oldMuthaRiley for sourcing the Scirocco 20 set and generally passing on his guru advice!

Below are some frame shots, and a few with the Scirocco 20 wheelset just to give an idea.

I can't start the build until I get the bars, and shift either a Ridley Phaeton R or a Pinarello Sestriere, because of the "one in, one out" rule!

In the flesh it's stunning frame....

ernestocolnago.jpg

colnag1.jpg

colnagomo7.jpg

colnagomo4.jpg

That my friend is superb!
Really looking forward to the progress of this build.

Perhaps we should organise a Colnago Ride at some point a la tweed run... :cool:

that looks great! I'm usually a fan of more subdues paint schemes, but that one is great! bright and loud, but classy at the same time, IMO...

Foz, I'm like you. When first it came out of its box I was shocked and didn't like it that much! I put it away and took it out again the next morning, went outside and sat there drinking coffee, staring at it!

It's absolutely stunning, and I'm a bit scared of it!

I think only Italians can get away with a paint scheme like that.
Must be all that espresso or something. You can imagine the creator
necking a couple of Lavazza's then manically spraying it, standing back
and thinking, 'Yeah...'

Johnsqual":3maaazxe said:
I think only Italians can get away with a paint scheme like that.
Must be all that espresso or something. You can imagine the creator
necking a couple of Lavazza's then manically spraying it, standing back
and thinking, 'Yeah...'

and thinking, 'Yeah...' I'll just spray another colour here....

I love those frames and really wish I'd not been so conservative in my tastes BITD. A big chunk of the cost of them new must have been to pay for all that painting time.

On a purely personal aesthetic note that (Thomson?) seatpost just doesn't seem right. A titanium or alloy Record/Chorus one would suit the Athena really well.

This should look stunning when finished - looking forward to it.

Mark.

Lovely bike, I have a soft spot for these flashy 'nago's ;)

Your bike is in the Novell decor colour scheme and probably a bit earlier than '96. I have the Colnago 1996 catalogue (bought as it has my '96 tecnos in it) and by then Colnago had got in trouble using the 'olympic' and had changed to 'masterlight' instead. Frueller extended headtube and seat tube for the larger frames too ;) $1695 the masterlight f&f's cost in '96 ;)

Very nice indeed :cool:

Thanks for that ShawnB.

I'll have to get on to Colnago to get a more accurate ageing. I sent them the serial number before buying, and they said it was a 96. Having said that, a friend of mine sent them the serial number of his 75 Super, and they insisted it was a 2000 Tecnos! They eventually relented and said he was right all along!

Where did you get the catalogue from? I want one!

The serial number for mine is 6C952

serialnumber.jpg

Latest posts

Back