A new thread to show some pics of progress so far, we bought the bike second hand for my other half as she thought she might like a road bike, but she wasn't so keen with the drops after trying it. So I put some flat sweep back bars on for her to try it and so far so good.
So we decided to strip and respray and update some of the components to make it easier to use as the stem shifter was pretty naff.
So far I've put a taller better looking stem on, although it may be too tall, will have to see. New brake levers, new index shifters, bog standard six speed tourneys to go with the new 6 speed freewheel on the back and the intended triple up front.
Whilst the rims looked ok the spokes had lost there shine and would be a lot of work to restore, my lbs had some cheapish Raleigh 27 inch wheels in stock so have put those on, but have had to spring both front and back to fit the new hubs, I may take it to a local frame builder later to get it set and realigned.
New headset also, using the 27mm jis size but again the lbs came to the rescue where the web failed to source one.
Seat post is also new, and whilst the size is a match it's very tight, so might need a downsize.
Gone for a sprung brooks b67s, and have ordered some dapper dan tan leather ergo grips. It will have white cables and the original steel fenders.
Any comments welcome
will update as work progresses.