Raleigh Wisp 1984 Mixte

retro-rich

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A new thread to show some pics of progress so far, we bought the bike second hand for my other half as she thought she might like a road bike, but she wasn't so keen with the drops after trying it. So I put some flat sweep back bars on for her to try it and so far so good.

So we decided to strip and respray and update some of the components to make it easier to use as the stem shifter was pretty naff.

So far I've put a taller better looking stem on, although it may be too tall, will have to see. New brake levers, new index shifters, bog standard six speed tourneys to go with the new 6 speed freewheel on the back and the intended triple up front.

Whilst the rims looked ok the spokes had lost there shine and would be a lot of work to restore, my lbs had some cheapish Raleigh 27 inch wheels in stock so have put those on, but have had to spring both front and back to fit the new hubs, I may take it to a local frame builder later to get it set and realigned.

New headset also, using the 27mm jis size but again the lbs came to the rescue where the web failed to source one.

Seat post is also new, and whilst the size is a match it's very tight, so might need a downsize.

Gone for a sprung brooks b67s, and have ordered some dapper dan tan leather ergo grips. It will have white cables and the original steel fenders.

Any comments welcome :) will update as work progresses.
d0d3e6df.jpg

aef20ad3.jpg

63744a12.jpg

Thanks bikenut

Not sure about the pedals yet as haven't sorted any cranks yet so haven't fully decided what were after. Cheers.

Some more pics to show progress, chainset is temporary, also need grips to match the saddle. Rear mech was found at the back of the shed, old deore model, front mech is NOS exage 500 from about 1990. The brakes tektro 559 deep drop dual pivot, work really well but the cable run to the rear is a bit untidy.

07876408.jpg

7686a891.jpg

bbc3d7bc.jpg

30886b9f.jpg

0fe62bef.jpg

9d71ca55.jpg

Spokesmann":b22f6mko said:
Looks lovely, very well done. Any decals planned for it?

Thanks

I have the original headbadge to put back on, not sure how to fix it yet, and also the little R logo if the seatpost bolt which fell off when cleaning the bolt.

The frame does look a little bare, so maybe some Raleigh decals on the downtube. The ones for this age are the block caps ones, i do prefer the later handwriting type ones. I think white rather than black lettering. Doubtfull i can get any Wisp decals and it's not reynolds tubing so again no tubing stickers.

Have just ordered some brooks grips with their 40% discount, so will finish the bars off.

Just need a decent chainset now, something like the stronglight from spa but second hand and cheaper :)

If silicone sealant doesn't work, get some "Trim Tape", only a couple of quid for a roll from Wilkos and the like.

It's the stuff they use to attach badges to cars, so can withstand heat, cold and wet.

Nice refurb! The white cables look lovely. Very pretty but would look nicer with a 5 bolt crankset (eg DX to match the mech) but then you have hinted at it being temporary. Seatpost should be 25.4mm, what did you fit?

Latest posts

Back