A retro modern creation...

sletti

Retro Guru
Hi

I built this bike because whilst I love the function of a modern bike, I love the look of an older bike. I am sick and tired of modern frames that are only available in Black, White or Red )or a combination of the three), and decent componentry that comes only comes in black and covered with garish decals. Utter madness. I like skinny tubed steel frames best, but until I can afford a new steel frame to hang all these components on, I made do with powder coating my old 7005 Coyote racing frame, but you get the gist..

Frame: Coyote ultralight
Fork: Dedaciai K force carbon
HEadset : Cheap M part
Saddle : charge Spoon (very comfy)
Bars : Ritchey anatomic (Still need to remove the rest of the DEDA logos of this "poo" brown tape)
Stem : Deda
Chainset : Campag Centaur 39/53 (want to change the outer ring for cosmetic reasons)
Chain : SRAM
Cassette : 105 10 speed 12-25
Hubs : Hope Pro 3 Mono (beautiful but boy, is that freewheel loud)
Rims : Mavic Open Pro CD (because I couldn't find MA40s at the time)
Tyres : Schwalbe Lugano (cheap and the sidewalls are gum coloured-ish, but they still don't look right)
Rear mech : Dura Ace 7700
Front Mech : Ultegra
Brakes : Dura Ace 7800
Brifters : Dura Ace 7800
Cables : Jagwire Gold Medal

Bling :various gold bits, all topped off with a Stem Captain clock.

So what do you reckon? Unique Modern Retro? Did I succeed?

Attachments

• P1040328.JPG
    P1040328.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,399
  • P1040329.JPG
    P1040329.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,399
  • P1040330.JPG
    P1040330.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,399
  • P1040331.JPG
    P1040331.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,399
  • P1040334.JPG
    P1040334.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,399
  • P1040335.JPG
    P1040335.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,399
nice bike, but I think the gold bling takes away the 'retro' part of it... more subtle black/white/silver cables and bolts, etc. would look more retro.

why do you want to change the chainring? and what do you want to change it to?

foz":3oj7hkoa said:
nice bike, but I think the gold bling takes away the 'retro' part of it... more subtle black/white/silver cables and bolts, etc. would look more retro.

why do you want to change the chainring? and what do you want to change it to?

I kinda get what you are saying about the bling aspect, but gold bits and pieces were no an unusual addition BITD (had a lovely set of gold Ofmega hubs once upon a time). I gues I took inspiration from the Campag 50 anniversary Gruppo.

I dont like the "stamped" look of the cheap campag outer ring. I know it is a vanity issue, but it makes the whole unit look a bit fussy, a record one would be better looking.

lovely bike
but the gold takes away from the retro look in my opinion
surely all the bling fitted would have cost you more than the steel frame your really after
but every picture is of all the logos if you dont like components with logos how come evry part has a logo
i dont like logos and have wet and dried all my dura ace logos off then polished them up so only the clued up cyclist spot there dura ace
eveyone else just doesnt notice

rocky ridge":1h9orxx6 said:
lovely bike
but the gold takes away from the retro look in my opinion
surely all the bling fitted would have cost you more than the steel frame your really after
but every picture is of all the logos if you dont like components with logos how come evry part has a logo
i dont like logos and have wet and dried all my dura ace logos off then polished them up so only the clued up cyclist spot there dura ace
eveyone else just doesnt notice

The bling was all very cheap (Toronto cycles) and well short of what I am expecting to lay out for a new frame as I have some specific requirements regarding lugs and chroming. I may be able to afford it if I sell my collection of rear dreailleurs. :cool:

As for the logos, I wasn't looking for a stealth look, I just dislike the rediculous decals that are now applied to cranks and rims.

And black spokes? There can be few sights more lovely than the twinkling of shiny spokes in the evening sunlight... :cool:

I like it - nice colourway, quietly understated on the decals and all nicely in proportion. Can't beat Toronto Cycles either; it's the cycling equivalent of those trays of penny chews you used to get on top of the sweetshop counter when you were a kid.

Love it. Yes, you've hit the "retro" styling spot-on. Cool ice blue and warm browns and golds, love the details.

Back