Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:17 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:20 pm 
Dirt Disciple

sletti, I'm still riding MA40s on my old 531 frame as my rainy day/winter/commuter (had it from new 25 years!) and am getting some new wheels built for it, with modern spacing (cold set rear to 130 without breaking frame hopefully).

I found some MA40 that Planet X have as NOS, for £30 a rim. Very tempted but I run OpenPro on my summer bike and rate them highly so may have to go modern. . .anyway thought I'd let you know about the MA40s incase you fancy building up some extra wheels!

By the way I had mine built onto DA7900 after rejecting the Hope Pro3 for their too-loud noise, but my mate loves the big clicks on his!

You've inspired me to get my alu road frame (you guessed it, black, with blue and white "accents"!) repainted the same ice blue I've always promised myself - one day!

All the best :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:38 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

I quite like it, almost a Bianchi celeste shade (but there's been a few of those over the years!).

Thanks for the lead to Toronto Cycles, never seen them before. What a range!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:42 pm 
Old School Hero

The colour is a powdercoat called RAL6019 Pastel Green so should be freely available from any powderocaters:

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp

I had it done in a matt finish, but when I put these bits on a steel frame, I wany the slick glossy finish of an enamel. I'm not complaing because it only cost me £40 + VAT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:31 pm 
Retro Guru

Love the colour scheme, all goes nicely together in my view. Only thing that lets it down are the STIs, they look out of place on a retro build to me.
I think ergos would look much nicer, particularly the earlier ones. But you'd have to redo drive train if you put ergos on there.

Johnny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:39 pm 
Old School Hero

Johnsqual wrote:
Love the colour scheme, all goes nicely together in my view. Only thing that lets it down are the STIs, they look out of place on a retro build to me.
I think ergos would look much nicer, particularly the earlier ones. But you'd have to redo drive train if you put ergos on there.

Johnny

I chose 7800 STIs because they had silver levers which, apart from the cheap variants, were my only real option.

I was thinking of getting some gum coloured Hudz to put on the levers, but would that be too much? Or maybe I could drill the levers... Hmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:47 am 
Retro Guru

sletti wrote:

I chose 7800 STIs because they had silver levers which, apart from the cheap variants, were my only real option.

I was thinking of getting some gum coloured Hudz to put on the levers, but would that be too much? Or maybe I could drill the levers... Hmmm...

If you put brown hoods on you could try white bar tape. I reckon brown hoods plus brown tape would be a bit much. Brown hoods plus white tape is more of a classic colour scheme, though the tape will be harder to keep clean of course.

Johnny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:43 pm 
Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty

sletti wrote:
Johnsqual wrote:

Johnny

For what it's worth, I'd be careful about gum coloured Hudz - there's already a few different shades of brown and gold on there, it might look a bit mixed up if they're anything other than an exact match. Celeste could be interesting though...

Also, totally with you on the stamped Campag outers, are you thinking of a Middleburn replacement?

A really, really nice build though. I've got something similarly retro/modem in the works myself at the moment and this bike to me is a great inspiration. Great job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:01 pm 
Old School Hero

ninety wrote:

For what it's worth, I'd be careful about gum coloured Hudz - there's already a few different shades of brown and gold on there, it might look a bit mixed up if they're anything other than an exact match. Celeste could be interesting though...

Also, totally with you on the stamped Campag outers, are you thinking of a Middleburn replacement?

A really, really nice build though. I've got something similarly retro/modem in the works myself at the moment and this bike to me is a great inspiration. Great job!

As Johnny figured in the previous post, they would have to go with white tape. Maybe some classic benotto tape. I have thought of leaving them black and fitting honey coloured brooks tape, but I feel faint when I think about how much it costs.

Not bothered what the outer is, Campag record. Stronglight Zircal are quite nice. But I feel a bit fey swapping out a chainring just because of the way it looks. :lol:

But thanks for the kind words from you self and the myriad others. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:43 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Agreed about the colour, nice and the top cap too, cheeky...