Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:36 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: 1983 Wes Mason
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:11 pm 
Retro Guru

I have been lusting after a 1980's period silver British Lightweight for a few years and when this frame came up on eBay in my size I couldn't resist. For £50 it was mine, there was only 1 other bidder. Frame is full Reynolds 531 double butted throughout with nice cutout Prugnat lugs, engraved seatstay ends and Campagnolo dropouts. It came with original 1983 Tange Levin chrome headset. This is my new winter/springtime bike. Wes Mason, a former professional rider in the 1960s, was one of the founders of the famous "MKM" brand (see: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... M_main.htm), he produced his own line of frames from about the year 1974 until about 1995. Wes, who I believe is still alive and well, would be about 75 years old now.

Was going to build it with period correct Shimano 600 or 105 Golden Arrow components, but I settled on the Suntour Sprint components from the year 1986, so still more or less period correct (+3 years). Sprint was just below the top end Superbe Pro but there isn't much in it really, Sprint is really light and looks fantastic. I have most components in place after 4 months of patient ebaying, just waiting on the brake calipers to arrive from USA before I build it all up. Can't wait to get this rolling :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:52 pm 
Retro Guru

very tidy... liking this, look forward to seeing it built up....it will look quality... what bars/stem / saddle etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:10 pm 
Retro Guru

toomski wrote:
very tidy... liking this, look forward to seeing it built up....it will look quality... what bars/stem / saddle etc

Thanks for showing interest in my build.

Bars are NOS 3TT Grand Prix from the 90's, stem is a modern Zenith in silver http://velosolo.co.uk/zenstem.html

Brake levers are NOS late 80's Modolo with white hoods from a nice chap in Hungary http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODOLO-BRAKE- ... 3cc6a40e80

Saddle is a charge Spoon in grey. http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3053/2553 ... 8b6a_z.jpg

Handlebar tape is silver deda cork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:27 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

nice! Reminds that I should get around to building my one up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:37 pm 
Retro Guru

legrandefromage wrote:

Thanks LGF. Do you have a Wes Mason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:40 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

otherself wrote:
legrandefromage wrote:

Thanks LGF. Do you have a Wes Mason?

Yes, its been in the shadows for years as a car boot find from pre RB days. Sadly its just a frame with no forks. I have been toying with it for some time but can never seem to find the right forks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:42 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Nice :) I wonder if Wes Mason bought a job lot of that grey metallic paint....... BITD they all seemed to be that colour LOL

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:08 pm 
Retro Guru

Suntour Sprint brake calipers arrived today from the USA. I had to pay £12.70 VAT & Shipping and Handling fee on top of the £23.77 + £9.00 delivery I paid for them! But they are a really nice piece of kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:44 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

That's nice, looking forward to seeing it complete. I remember Wes's shop in Harrogate, when did the Keighley address come into play? I reckon there might have been a link with Sid Barrass who had a Keighley shop and who possibly took over the Harrogate shop when Wes left it??

Wes is still around and living in North Wales. I met him again a year or two back at the Newport Nocturne race. No connection with the trade - or even cycling - these days.

BTW, have you registered the frame with the MKM website?

http://www.mkm-cycles.co.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:46 pm 
Retro Guru

Old Ned wrote:
That's nice, looking forward to seeing it complete. I remember Wes's shop in Harrogate, when did the Keighley address come into play? I reckon there might have been a link with Sid Barrass who had a Keighley shop and who possibly took over the Harrogate shop when Wes left it??

Wes is still around and living in North Wales. I met him again a year or two back at the Newport Nocturne race. No connection with the trade - or even cycling - these days.

BTW, have you registered the frame with the MKM website?

http://www.mkm-cycles.co.uk/

Thanks for the info. Do you know when Wes stopped building frames? He learnt his trade at Carlton cycles, the latest Wes Mason frames I've seen were possibly late 80s early 90s.

No, not registered the frame... would they accept a Wes Mason?