Late 90s Colnago Tecnos. Rescued from the bin.

Bigfish

Old School Hero
I thought I'd share this one with you guys. I acquired this frame 2 years ago from a clubmate In the Rockingham Forest Wheelers, Roy Crombie, a past national road and track champion of some note. He had the bike from new and over the years it was relegated to winter use after having been ridden very successfully in road races and criteriums. He told me that it had developed a creak and inspection revealed that it had rusted through on both chainstays after having been hung up after riding - by the front wheel.
Anyway, I swapped it for a handlebar stem, and considered brazing some steel patches over the holes and using it as a hack bike. The rest of the frame and the chrome was in OK condition. (I just wish I had some before pics to show, but hey ho)
I then decided to have it professionally repaired, and thought about having a £30 red powder coated finish, and buying a set of Saronni-stylee decals.
One thing led to another and just under £400 later it came back from Bob Jackson Cycles with a very nice new colour scheme and a pair of rechromed forks.
Then began the job of gathering the necessary kit to build it. i have long been a Dura Ace user, but that would just not do, so many a deal later I have just about got enough Campag C Record bling to build it up.
I will add the photos tonight when they finish uploading.

I was reading your post looking forward to some before-and-after resto pics and then I hit this sentence....

Bigfish":qzy38eyq said:

:cry:

Very much looking forward to seeing your Colnago. Do you like in Cottingham that's a few miles down the road from me?

Here you go:

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Freshly rechromed. Note the evidence of the previous rust under the crown.

IMG_0637.jpg

With the Record headset fitted

IMG_0641.jpg

i-am-iron-man":2n25bm2z said:
I was reading your post looking forward to some before-and-after resto pics and then I hit this sentence....

Bigfish":2n25bm2z said:

:cry:

Very much looking forward to seeing your Colnago. Do you like in Cottingham that's a few miles down the road from me?
Sorry chap, my Cottingham is the one in Northants.

Ready for some more kit:

IMG_0644.jpg

Deltas!

IMG_0646.jpg

An old pair of 64-44s, a 14cm !a and proper Delta levers.

IMG_0647.jpg

Those wheels are from my Litespeed. Dura Ace on Ambrosio Excellight. I have some Record 8 speed hubs on gold reflex rims to pop on.
When I get the BB in, the C Record chainset is going on, along with a C Record century rear mech, DT shifters ( I just hate the look of 8 speed ergos), and some white cork tape. I will touch in the clover leaf cut-outs with some white enamel and maybe stick on a columbus tecnos decal set. I then need a decent braze-on front mech that has campag written on it.
Job's a good 'un.

NOS chorus seatpin and a Squadra HDP fugly saddle. Might put my old 1979 Concor on.

IMG_0648.jpg

The position looks about right-for when I was 18....

IMG_0645.jpg

Oh I like that, the colour's lovely. Did Jacksons colour-match the Saronni Red or is that their standard ruby red? I've been thinking of getting my Super resprayed but have bottled out through fear of it not being quite right. Yours looks spot-on though. :)

Glad you like it. The pictures don't really do justice to the quality of finish.
I sent them some high-res pics of a period Saronni. They went to a great deal of trouble getting it just right and even made masks to paint the lettering on because transfers would not have been possible to apply properly to the profiled downtube. A really great company to deal with. The next project is to have them refinish my Motorola Merckx, which is showing a little to much "period patina".

Saronni red is a clear ruby lacquer over a metallic silver base... :)

Mine pictured below, C-record original

Attachments

• colnago.jpg
    colnago.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 2,811
Back