Harry Quinn lo-pro renovation.

blightyinfurs

Old School Hero
I've got hold of this very sorry looking Quinn from a young lad in London. It was built up as a fixie, and frankly, looked like a clown's bike. It had been rattle-canned in blue at some point, and was rusting badly in areas...

Picture366.png

Picture664.png

Picture5.png

Picture6.png

Picture3.png

I don't know what tubing it is at the moment, but it's definitely a Welsh Quinn according to the frame number. I've guessed at the 1987 date.

It's got an internal rear brake cable, and an internal rear derailleur routing.

I decided that the vast majority of the equipment on it will go, and it'd need a proper paintjob - more pictures in next post.

It was sent to Mercian down the road. Here it was stripped, repaired and repainted. I went for pearlescent white with black details, and the HQ text from Lloyds was wrapped by championship colours.

I know the headbadge for HQ by Lloyds isn't bob-on, but there's no other option that I've been able to find.

Apologies for the oil-stained carpet. Wifey is very understanding.

DSC_7700.jpg

DSC_7695.jpg

DSC_7702.jpg

DSC_7706.jpg

DSC_7691.jpg

This one is called Baby Quinn, after my grandmother Elizabeth 'Baby' Quinn.

Headset arrived from eBay. This took an age to find. A bit heavier than the early Chorus model that was in it, but hey ho.

DSC_7967.jpg

Saddle, ready to go on - as soon as I find a suitable seatpost. I was chuffed to get one with championship colours on, to match the frame.

DSC_7954.jpg

DSC_7956.jpg

Stem that I was intending to use - it's got quite a few gouges in it though, especially on the top. Not sure if it's period correct or not either.

DSC_7961.jpg

DSC_7963.jpg

You are good to rescue it but your wife must be a saint! There is something fundamentally sad about a geared bike being turned into a fixie. The cycling equivilent to a eunuch.

Looking forward to this one being reversed.

Suntour Superbe Pro rear mech - in tatty condition, and the bearings seem quite stiff - I'll need to work out how to strip this and clean/regrease before it goes on.

DSC_7951.jpg

Iwasgoodonce":3pv5rh3n said:
You are good to rescue it but your wife must be a saint! There is something fundamentally sad about a geared bike being turned into a fixie. The cycling equivilent to a eunuch.

Looking forward to this one being reversed.

A bit iffy with the chain length as well as it was. Looks great now. The seat stay arrangement looks amazingly like some of the Dave Lloyd frames seen here. I wonder if they were a proprietary set that builders could purchase?

Back