1997 Giant Peloton.Super Elite

Druid

Dirt Disciple
Forum said I have to post once before posting links...

...one post!

:)

EDIT: Been a while since I posted any pics on a forum and just saw the size of those photos. If admin want me to post thumbnails just holler.

OK, so it is not steel, but it is retro.:)

I was aimlessley wandering around the web when I stumbled upon this place. Well, humans are social animals and taking this machine through the mountains on solo training spins is fine but I felt some innate urge to share it with other like-minded creatures:

IMG_3157.jpg

History:

In 1996 I had a Reynolds 753 built for me by Ribble. I had a full Campy Record group and some other nice toys like Mavic SUP wheels and Cinnelli Eubios bars. Late in '97 I had a bad crash in the last race of the season. By the time I got back on the bike I felt a little motivation was needed so I bought a new frame. The steel was already a bit dated before I bought but by late '90's regardless of how much I loved it and everyone was moving to alloy and carbon frames (sorry) so I thought I take a look at what it was all about. I bought a new frame, Giant Team Edition 6061 T6, and had my full group moved to the alloy.

At the same time I found an old Mercian with a crack in the frame in a second hand shop. The shop owner did not realise that there was a full Dura Ace STI group set on it, or if he did he did not know its value. That group now sits on the Ribble.

Why this is of any interest to you retro worshipers is what followed. I never got back on the bike. It sat in my shed, well wrapped up and safe but it sat from 1998 to 2011. Life caught up on me. I grew up and it grew dusty. Last year I decided to get fit again and got running and cycling. The upshot is that I have a brand new 1997 Giant Peloton.Super Lite. It has under 500 genuine miles, one owner and a full '96 C Record group set.

The marks on the rear mech and front brake leaver are scars from the crash but I don't think they take from the bike. Probably add to it's originality. The saddle is a great way to age it by the way.

Hope you enjoy and thanks for reading,

Oh, and forgive the road dirt, at least it is being used now. I'd rather that than the dust.

Dru.

:cool:

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

Lovely

That looks really nice :cool:
I have a soft spot for Giants and yours is a brilliant looking and equipted machine.
Welcome aboard :D

Jamie

Thanks for the welcome Jamie, and glad someone else enjoyed it. What I love most about it is that it does not look 15 years old. The Record gear is timeless and being aluminium still looks pretty much like a stock bike from todays range. Other cyclists see it and admire and then when they realise the age of the thing they are a bit confused.

My other bike is on loan to a mate who's training for an ironman and needed a road bike. I'll give it a good polish and put it up when its back. Not sure anyone considers Ribble to be classics but a 753 reynolds and a Dura Ace group should tickle someones fancy.:)

The one I really should post is for the MTB guys, I'll take a few pics over the weekend. This I bought at the same time as the Giant and when I say it was never used, I mean it went on 3 15 mile spins in the last year and that is it:

1996/97 GT Avalanche with Deore LX group. Its gunbarrel grey with yellow decals and yellow marzocchi bombers.

Back