Raleigh Record Sprint - a retrobike story

SIMONFREESE

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This weekend was the perfect weather for messing around with my latest project, a Raleigh Record Sprint:

rrs.jpg

This bike is a testement to the kindness and generosity of others. Jamis04 was giving the bike away, and I offered to give it a good home. There were a few parts required to complete the build, the legend that is Lazarus stepped in, and furnished me with wheels, crank, brake levers, mechs, bottom bracket and saddle! There is a seperate thread regarding this particular act of generosity, labelled 'is this excessive pac' and can be found in the retro classic road section.

The reason for this build was simple, I had one of these as a teenager, and have many happy memories of riding my Record Sprint when the summers were longer and warmer and all that nostalgic stuff! I remember buying the bike ten miles away from home, my mum dropped me off, and I beat her home!

I have put a wanted ad up for brake blocks, if anyone has any suggestions where to get them from I would be most grateful.

Thanks Jamis04 and thanks Lazarus!

Looks great

Looks great :cool:
Not sure about brake blocks but will check the shed in the morning and see whats in the spares boxs for you.
Great story of the retro brotherhood ;)

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, I have been looking for somewhere to buy these but have been unsure which to get...

There is a great community on here, and the generosity I have experienced encourages me to be generous in return, it's good to think we can all help each other keep our old bikes on the road :)

Nice story Simon - look forward to seeing it finished, but can't help on the brake blocks I'm afraid. I particularly like the bit about beating your Mum over a ten-miler! I bet your bike was run in by the time your Mum got back...

My mum had an Austin Maestro at the time, so she probably broke down on the way back!

Jamie, just to save you bothering the spiders, I have just put my name down for some complete weinmann brakes with blocks on CTC, so hope to have the last piece of the puzzle. I am now thinking about my next project, got to have something on the go!

Rich, I am looking forward to seeing more of the Alex Singer, hope you are finding time to tinker...

Hi Simon

Hi Simon
Apologies for the late reply.
I had a quick look this morning before heading out but no luck so I decided to have a deeper dig when I got in. Unfortunately no luck :cry:
I did have a bag of good condition brake blocks from all sorts of brake systems. The only set I found were a set of shimano br5500 but dont think they will fit those brakes.
If you find they will drop me a line and I'll get them in the post.
Sorry not more help.

Jamie

SIMONFREESE":3pcb7j1q said:
Rich, I am looking forward to seeing more of the Alex Singer, hope you are finding time to tinker...

I get home next week - I need to get my Bianchi finished and on the road, and the Dawes doesn't need much more to be finished either so those are the priorities. I will however wheel the Alex Singer out into the light and get some better photos...

Out on the maiden voyage:

rrs11.jpg

A great feeling to be using the same bike that I had all those years ago.

I had some deda bar tape in white, which I think is a bit loud but it was to hand so I used it. Will probably get something more subtle as it just seems too 'new'. Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks once again to all those who helped me get to this point, i'm looking for another project now!

Great

Hi mate
Great to see you got it finished so you could get out and enjoy riding the fruits of your labours.
Hope it lived up to your expectations.
Dont worry too much about the bar tape, it will give you something to tinker with.
Ride it, enjoy it.
All the best
Jamie

Back