PEKA - l'eroica ready

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Back in 2010 I posted the PEKA I acquired than >>> overhere. A couple weeks ago I sourced a babyblue creature with dark blue panels saying 'PEKA'. PEKA-teampaint. Sticker on toptube says 'Univers Wielerploeg'.

I sourced the bike from the 2nd owner. He had acquired in the early 90s, after the original owner had passed away. The original owner had been a senior racer till high age and the PEKA was his thoroughbred through the years. Interesting: the frame shows brazed on cable guides, brazed on shifter bosses and cables under shell in combination with French Nervex lugs and a fork that is typical for an earlier era. The frame is a Joco, Jabo, RIH or whatever frame the rider liked (haven't found out that yet) and it is modified by Peter Serier and sprayed in PEKA livery around 1980.

The picture shows the bike after a brief overhaul by me and a couple adjustments in the specs. For example the 32mm tires and the Dura-Ace self extracting crank bolts are new. The cockpit comes directly from a Koga-Miyata FullPro-L. This evening I switched to a cockpit with shorter stem: 1st gen 3T Record, 3T Gran Prix drops, 1st gen DA levers.

Planned is a small ring with 42 teeth, so I'll have a very light 42-28 available.

7257486080_e3d61fd4b3_b.jpg

7257482926_2c7c86e847_b.jpg

Blue like the Falcon Campagnolo team in the 70's UK :)

Just curious as it looks like a 70's frame with early 80's braze on guides on the top tube cables. Blimey they were uncomfortable when stopping even in the 70's with clamp on guides LOL#

Shaun

The brazed on frame parts, the routing under the shell and the PEKA teampaint are indeed later than the rest of the frame. Frame with Nervex lugs and this geometry is probably 60s or early 70s at the latest.

Work in progress :)

7278300144_4e8e65a12c_c.jpg

7278301108_5dccc07a6d_c.jpg

The cockpit I fitted after collection was a very nice FullPro-L example with SR Extra Super Light stem (ti hardware), SR bar and DA EX levers. The stem was simply too long, so I had to drop it.

This afternoon I did a 45km ride through local polders. With the PEKA I've reduced the number of bolt and nut variations to a minimum, so I need to carry only a couple tools. The Gran Prix bars are a bit narrow and I'll have to get used to the Ideale seat, but I think this bike is ready for say a 205km ride through Tuscany :)

This morning I woke up very early, as I faced a busy day. I started the day with a 120km ride on the PEKA. The bike behaved very well. Everything is centered, fine-tuned and performs flawlessly. Now I will put the black cotton tape on the bars and than I am really ready. Well, maybe could pay some attention to the creaking noises the Ideale seat produces. However... the sound contributes to the proper old bike experience, so better leave as is :)

Hello

Another lovely addition to the stable :D
Sounds like it rides as well as it looks.
Love the reports, please keep them coming ;)
Jamie

[Drums please] - Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you my ride for upcoming l'eroica event in Tuscany, Italy! :) Thank you.

7402905224_f70539ec01_b.jpg

7402913586_7bc5a02803_z.jpg

Nervex lugs. You can spot a glimpse of the black Dura-Ace brake calliper. Rear is silver. A bit a salt and pepper theme going on :) The real reason why the black example came on was that the silver front was bend a little.

7402916292_7041681c5c_c.jpg

Ideale seat. I'll have to get comfortable with it, but there is still a while to go till October.

7402909348_eccb966da5_c.jpg

Sugino Mighty cranks. I used the Shimano one-key-release bolts, so I could take the cranks off without having to carry a puller with me. Easy in transport.

7402919452_7cf27bfa73_z.jpg

The Nuovo Record rear mech handles the shifting with ease, including the 28t largest.

Ready to roll! Tuscany here I come.

7402925406_3e8a32fff0_b.jpg

lovely steal, hopefully see it on the road in tuscany

glad to here the nouvo mech handles a 28T, the cage looks similar in the length to the victory mech i'm hoping to use

Back