Opinions Sought

Ralph_the_Rohan

Retro Guru
I'm just about to build up an Alan Super Record frameset, but am in a dilema over Bar Tape, Brake Hood and Brake Cable colour combinations.

The frameset is anodised red, with polished lugs. I have Campagnolo SR Brake Levers with a choice of Black or Creamy White Hoods.

Any recommendations from the Retro Style Gurus on here?

Steve.

Hello Steve from a fellow Southend on Sea resident!

I am very inexperienced in these matters, but would have thought that a red frame would look good with black hoods and tape and matching black cable would go well. Also easy to source...It is a safe, and maybe slightly boring option.

Will be looking out for an Alan riding round Southend soon!

Ah, the black or white detailing dilemma. Forgive me linking to one of my posts but one of my bikes is red:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

I started out with black hoods, bar tape and seat. But then I decided to go for brown non-aero hoods with white bar tape and seat. I really like it and this will sound silly but it makes the bike look "lighter" in my opinion. I'm about to put a white Turbo on my Bianchi too, to match the white bar tape. White would probably set off the polished lugs on your Alan too.

But what we really need is pictures of your bike!

Just to make sure your life isn't too easy, I'll chip in with my opinion that creamy white is definitely the way to go for a red anodized Alan! The creamy white SR hoods are much nicer than the black or gum ones IMHO.
Not sure about my status as a retro style guru though... I'm sure either will look great though.
Good luck with the build.
Nick

Chaps,

Thanks for the advice given so far. I might just have to go for both options and see what looks best, although I think I'm favouring the White options so far.

Here's a pic of the frameset. As you can tell it has chrome 531 forks rather than the Original Alan ones, which I believe were a bit suspect strength wise! I've fitted a Campagnolo Headset in this pic, but unfortunately the stack height was too high so I've just acquired a low-stack height Tange Passage one instead. Not quite the same, but I'm not aware of a low-stack height Campag one.

Need some Alan decals as well.

Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_0847a.jpg
    IMG_0847a.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 593
Beautiful! Try GTS753 on eBay or Gil_M on this site for decals. I think I've seen Alan ones around.

Now that I have seen the frame, I have to agree with Rich's option!

It is a really lovely frame, looking forward to seeing it built up, I won't miss that if it passes me around Southend!

Back