Budget steel weight weenie - Help me shave 500g

HenryWood

Dirt Disciple
First post - Any ideas where to shave 500g or more off this for next to nothing? Need to balance out the weight of tyres/tubes a bit. I'm aiming for as close to 8KG as possible!

Frame Giant Peloton Superlite - 1900g
Forks Time carbon 1" threaded - 482g
Wheels FSA RD-200 - 1744g (inc skewers)
Headset Stronglight A9 - 80g
Seatpost Thomson - 180g
Saddle Bioflex carbon - 180g
Mechs+Brakes+DT levers Shimano RX-100 - 865g (inc cables)
Brake levers Shimano RX-100 - 242g
Cassette SRAM PG850 - 242g
Chain SRAM PC850 - 310g
Chainset SRAM force - 650g
Bottom Bracket 105 - 120g
Stem 3T stylus - 240g
Handlebars 3TTT Curva forgie mex - 240g

TOTAL - 7475g

Any help greatly appreciated.

What's your budget ?

the seat post & cassette for me first then levers

As close to 400 quid as possible. Currently on 315 so i'm hoping for a super-bargain of a wheel set to appear.

One option is a campagnolo record cassette 225g

How long is the post? cut off any unneeded length. hello free weight saving!

SRAM PG850 cassettes are quite a lot lighter than HG50s and are sensibly priced over at chain reaction cycles too...

i will be going with a sram PG850 now after i swap a cassette over to shimano fitting from campagnolo. I will also be chopping off the excess post once i have it set up right.

found a set of wheels, but they have added 250g onto my build, so ill be looking into that too.

Drill largish holes out on your Stronglight headset [the part that goes into your head tubes].

Drill largish holes around the ends of the handlebars[least place you grab so no worries about them bending]

Replace butyl tubes with Laytex tubes. throw away the valve caps.

Replace any chrome/steel bolts/washers with Titanium bolts/alloy washers.

Don't know how old your Shimano RX-100 levers are ! but replacing them with Modolo Kronos levers as these are very lightweight.

Replace steel outer brake cables with alloy outer brake cables.

:roll: :LOL:

RX100 rear mech is quite weighty at 280g. I run a RD-6208 Shimano 600 rear mech which clocks in at approx 200g as is. Replace the rear brake caliper with a single pivot (such as exage sport).

Thank a lot! I'll look into those. But being on a budget I got the rx100 group all together so I'm avoiding swapping out parts I already have. I'd like to shave weight off the chainset. I lost the ultegra on eBay so I'm looking at one of SRAMs carbon offerings if the price is right. I'll upgrade the mechs at a later date.

If you have a hunt around, you can find the odd bargain - I got some Ti spindle Wellgo SPD's for £14 on ebay.
Other than what other folks have said, I'd go with Benotto tape on the bars; stick with your chainset, but swap the chain ring bolts and look for a Ti crank bolt - get your chain rings drilled too, if you can.
You could also look at drilling out the centre of your rear mech and swapping the jockey wheels, pinch bolt, pivot bolt and cable adjuster with Ti, SRP or SRP lookalikes - there seems to be a lot on ebay at present, but I'd just get a job lot from Toronto Cycles, as you are only paying a $5 flat rate postage cost. And, while you're drilling, look at putting some holes in your brake levers and down tube shifters too.
Other than that - Ti skewers (you can find AEST or KCNC copies on ebay for about £25-30 tops) and perhaps something like a Token Ti spindle bottom bracket; saying that, I got a UN 91 off the MTB sales section here for peanuts not so long ago, and it hasn't given me a moment's trouble.

Back