LOOK KG 86, La Vie Claire Team

stringfellow1946

Senior Retro Guru
Another one of my Retro Bike builds that I will be posting in the next few weeks. The La Vie Claire team was among the first to use carbon fiber frames in the Tour De France. In 1986 the carbon fiber frames and forks were made by TVT but went under the name of Look KG86. Greg Lemond went on to win the TDF in 1986 using a Look KG 86 fitted with Campagnolo C-Record components. This one is based more around the 1987 bike used by Jean-François Bernard by which time the team had switched to using Shimano components. This one is fitted with Dura Ace 7400 with 7speed index screw on freewheel (as cassette hubs were not available at that time) 7 speed down tube index shifters, Cinelli bars & the now long forgotten Benotto handle bar tape & very early Look PP75 clip less Pedals. This frame is also missing a couple of the original decals.[/b]

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 8,201
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 8,186
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 8,185
  • IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 8,186
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 8,179
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 8,179
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 8,182
  • IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 8,201
Just made my day :D JF Bernard's bike and the Colnagos that you've posted. Stunning collection :shock: and from an era that was very influential in my young schoolboy cycling career. Love the character of the bikes back then, something that will never be improved upon with modern technology IMO Look forward to seeing more............

mAdam":lsk3vx7v said:
Just made my day :D JF Bernard's bike and the Colnagos that you've posted. Stunning collection :shock: and from an era that was very influential in my young schoolboy cycling career. Love the character of the bikes back then, something that will never be improved upon with modern technology IMO Look forward to seeing more............

Thank you for the very kind comments, The look KG86, some of the Dura Ace Parts aren't quite there yet if you know what I mean. little bits of rust on the skewers & the odd bolt but I will fix that in time. Yea I agree that era kind if a change over period & was the start of the carbon revolution & the group sets were all so different in shape & design, very tactile, rather like the cars from the 70's (NON JELLY MOULD Shape). Then the Bike parts went all very aero & ergonomic shapes like today, all very much the same stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed looking at the bikes & hope they brought back some happy memories for you & others.

Another lovely bike from an era I miss in many ways :( :LOL: It would have been the height of me and my Dad rushing to the telly after tea to catch the TDF on Channel 4 :LOL:
Happy days.

Another beauty... Love that carbon weave, just beautiful. However I echo Claret73s comment - I've never tried to weave carbon but I've wrapped a few handlebars in my time and that is a very tidy job...

I remember with fondness the days when carbon fibre bikes were the same shape as steel bikes... I still lust after a TVT from a late 'Eighties Ron Kitching catalogue. When "monocoque" came along I remember thinking that was how boats are made. :roll:

Back