Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:03 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: 1972 - Puch Cavalier
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:18 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Picked this up from retrowagen12345 late last year (see his original thread here).

I bought the bike for velomaniac's MacClunker - 'death on the downhill' day - an attempt to recreate the spirit of the original west coast clunkers by using bikes not necessarily designed for off-roading and then hurling them down a suitable fire road.

For me, the idea was to recreate what we used to do in the '70s as kids when all we had were our old road bikes - you'd simply flip the bars for a more upright riding position and ride it up the local woods. I was also hoping to find a set of wider, off-roady 27" tyres that I could fit, but all the tyres I could find on line were in the States, and too spendy.

Out of the box, it didn't need much doing. A quick re-grease and adjustment for both hubs, and a replacement saddle - I picked up a nice £10 Milremo from Perth Bike station, usefully marked 'amateur' (not that there was ever any doubt).

Rather than just flip the bars, I fitted an old set of BMX bullmose bars (21.1" quill) and the necessary shim that I had previously fitted to my old Stumpy. A quick bit of spannering, and...

Unfortunately, we haven't quite managed the MacClunker ride yet, but in the meantime, it really does make a great town bike. I should probably refit the rack and mudguards, and a set of thumbies on the bars would be nice too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:09 pm 
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider
P.o.T.M. Winner / MacRetro Rider

Location: In the foothills of the foothills of The Cairngorm Massif :D
Had one of these in silver when I was a student. Rode most days to Uni and later took it to Kent/Sussex/SE London and sold it for £15 when I moved back up.

No problems with it at all but had a terrific blowout coming out of Glasgow on Pollokshaws Road one winter night. Immense bang, thought a friggin bomb had gone off :shock: