Kuota Kult - modern bike...old bits...budget build

HavelockEllis

Retro Guru
I have noticed a few threads re. the do I/don't I mix modern parts on old frames. With the bank balance taking a regular hammering on the bike front, and prices seemingly going through the roof, I have found retrobike a very handy resource to keep me on the road at a price that's right, with old bits on a new frame...

I saw this at my LBS in a parlous state, after the front wheel had been clipped by a car and swung the bars into the top tube - result, two very nasty cracks in the carbon. It was replaced under warranty, and, after a bit of negotiation picked up the frame and forks, headset and seatpin for £190, being in the market for something a bit modern to stop my bum getting too much of a kicking on the club run;
K1.jpg

I've fixed a couple of pranged carbon frames, which have stood the test of time, but the weird shaped tubing was a touch out of my league. However, a trip to Carbon Bike Solutions, just down the road from me, got the job done for about £100 and turned round in just under a fortnight - you can make out some of repair under the paint here;
K5.jpg

Total outlay, for a £1700ish frame and forks; £290
SRAM Red and Lightweight wheels would have been nice, but needs must-
Dura Ace 7400 on SUP Ceramic; 10 into 8 does go, with 105 block and Ultremo tyres - £230
K4.jpg

Microshift bare basic Centos groupset, with a bit of tuning, care of Toronto Cycles - the shiny bits were out of the spares box, but the mechs and shifters came in at £130 all in, including postage
K2.jpg

A bb30 chainset would be nice but for about £80 I picked up a ten speed Campag Record plus Record BB. A bit of oven cleaner, wet/dry, 0000 brass wool and Dremel got rid of the scuffed anodising...
K3.jpg

Stem and bars; ITM Europa and ITM carbon Millenium - £22
Saddle; Flite Ti gel - £12
Brakes; KCNC single pivots - £60
Cables; Jagwire (inners, outers and stops) - back of shed
Pedals; Wellgo - £10
Chain; YBAN Ti - £30

Aside from the shifters and mechs, block and chain, everything was purchased off here or from Retrobike forum members and the total cost came in at somewhere just under £800 - like I said, apologies for modern content, but on a practical level, this forum has saved me a significant chunk of change

Great story, I love a bargain, and interesting to know that you've restored a couple of carbon frames. That would be a great way to pick up a frame that's out of reach of my pocket, I have a couple of groupsets just waiting for the right frame to come up - at the right price!

Back