TI Raleigh 531

bedraggled

Senior Retro Guru
Just been looking at originalshinkickers TI Raleigh 753 thread and thought I'd post these pictures as an incentive to get me started.

It's an Ilkeston built 531 from the late 70's, completely original it hasn't been repainted, there are a couple of paint chips to be touched up but I haven't seen many in better original condition.

I've had the frameset for a few months and keep changing my mind about how to build it up, a period correct Campagnolo build was my first thought but my wallet objected.
It was originally sold as a frameset so I convinced myself that I could make a case for any type of build.
After looking at period Shimano, Suntour, Galli (there was an NOS groupset on eBay for a while) and modern groupsets I came full circle and back to Campagnolo.
The first bits of Campagnolo Nuovo Record should be in the post and will update the thread when they arrive (the bb cups are only there to stop it falling over).

Attachments

• TI_009.jpg
    TI_009.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 4,655
  • TI_008.jpg
    TI_008.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 4,654
  • TI_007.jpg
    TI_007.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 4,654
Wow what a beauty! the more I see the early team bikes the more I want one but the room/money/wife is putting that on hold!
Where are the serial numbers on these? I was looking at one but the BB was cut out and no numbers there.....

Shawn.

The serial number is on the bottom bracket.
An Ilkeston built version will start with SB followed by a number, the numbering was sequential from 1 up to about 8300.
If you find one with what seems like two random letters followed by 3 numbers that is a frame built for a sponsored rider eg JR 178 would be Jan Raas first bike for the 1978 season.
If it starts with a W the frame was built in Worksop, borrowed details below from elsewhere on site.

Attachments

• RaleighSerialNumbers.jpg
    RaleighSerialNumbers.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 4,628
Thanks, I have that list saved on my computer. The issue is the seller says there are no numbers on the BB :?

Unless it's an oddball, no number on the bottom bracket would pretty much rule out an Ilkeston or Worksop frame.
The other common location for a serial number is the back of the seat tube at the top.
The colour scheme was used on just about the whole range of bikes from the cheapest to the most expensive, probably better to look for other signs of quality such as Campagnolo drop outs.

Nice frame... :)

I worked in a bike shop in the 70's and people who bought these frames simply fitted what they could afford and what looked nice :)

For example the Sakae chainsets looked very nice and sold well so I wouldn't get too strung up getting everything Campagnolo to make it the "correct period".

Just out of curiosity what's the frame number? seems to have an early to mid 70's selection of braze ons :)

Cheers

Shaun

Thought I'd post some more pictures now that I've got nearly enough bits and pieces to build a full bike, bars and stem are Cinelli, the groupset is Nuovo Record.
Not in a position to buy NOS so will be spending the weekend cleaning and polishing, optimistic that it will clean up nicely.
Pictures show everything as it arrived, for the most part I'm quite pleased.
Only disappointment is the front wheel the chrome on the spokes is poor.
Any experiences of the best cleaning products to use are welcomed.

Attachments

• Nuovo_003.jpg
    Nuovo_003.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 4,423
  • Nuovo_002.jpg
    Nuovo_002.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 4,423
  • Nuovo_001.jpg
    Nuovo_001.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 4,423
Groupset looks pretty tidy to me :D Elbow grease and solvol autosol etc. really. no substitute for lots of time :(

What's the date stamp on the rear mech ?

Shaun

Back