Cromor-framed - Cavallo Marino Sodicycle. A worthy project?

agentorange

rBotM Winner
One of the joys of living in France is the seeming abundance of nice old frames and bikes. I've been keeping my eyes on local classifieds for a worthy project and every now and then amongst the Peugeot's, Mercier's & Vitus frames you do get the odd gem.

So, I took a punt on this Columbus Cromor framed Cavallo Marino frame. My poor command of French meant that I was unable to extract too much detail from the seller but I received the frame yesterday and am currently struggling to make a decision on whether it will make a worthy project.

So, we have what I suspect is a Cromor frame, the decals are on top of the laquer so I'm not 100% sure of it's authenticity but doing some research on the frame has unearthed many similar frames which are usually SL or SLX. I can't determine the exact origins of the frame & can't find anything on the Sodicycle name relevant to 90's builds. The main tubes have a kind of fluted effect to their central areas and the wording and the colours are painted rather than stuck on which I really like. The chromed forks and stays are very clean but the painted areas have some battle scars.

So, what to do with it? I really like the frame, it's my size and it's reasonably light. It's a good looking frame and any decision to respray would taint much of it's charm. It's a mid-nineties frame which lends itself nicely to the superb C-Record period which I love and have 'some' parts.

Before I throw money at it I would appreciate some advice or shared knowledge on the frame. So, I'd love to get some input if anyone recognises the construction.

Sell or keep?

6971972196_cd5410eef4_b.jpg

7118047737_e835e781ca_b.jpg

6971969710_f78948d110_b.jpg

7118045597_312905ae9d_b.jpg

6971967820_fef3c29907_b.jpg

6971966702_c901f07821_b.jpg

6971966002_03e79b536f_b.jpg

6971964838_a4bf86b809_b.jpg

6971963946_c4054b7c8a_b.jpg

my current project is a columbus cromor frame that looks very similar to yours. I don't know the details of cromor, but it was pretty low level I think. The frame I have isn't light by any means, but rides very nicely. I'd build yours up and see how you like it before taking any big decisions. it looks pretty nice and might clean up quite well

foz":31tby4rc said:
my current project is a columbus cromor frame that looks very similar to yours. I don't know the details of cromor, but it was pretty low level I think. The frame I have isn't light by any means, but rides very nicely. I'd build yours up and see how you like it before taking any big decisions. it looks pretty nice and might clean up quite well
Plenty of info on Cromor here -
http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/columb ... schart.htm

It's not as low level as you think actually, only ever so slightly thicker than SL.

The crimped tubes are a thing of beauty, not so sure about the flame graphics though ;)

Back