Dawes Fixie

steve86

Dirt Disciple
My Dawes Lightning Fixie.
couple of pics.
044.jpg

042.jpg

steve86":27xm2roj said:

What other illegal things would you be prepared to do besides riding an unroadworthy bike on the public highway? If you have an accident you won't have a leg to stand on - possibly literally -but definitely legally.

The bike is nice and clean etc. but please - fit a brake.

Thanks for the legality information i didnt know it was actually illegal.
i respect peoples views on how my bike should be but telling me what to do so bluntly is only ever going to get a negative reaction

Thank you for saying about my bike being clean though, :)

You'll find it a more enjoyable ride with foot retention and a front brake, as you'll have more control and therefore be able to ride faster and more confidently! And also, it'll look better with clips and straps...

steve86":207zfcfg said:
Thanks for the legality information i didnt know it was actually illegal.

No disrespect to you Steve but, quite frankly, I never cease to be amazed at the number of 'fixie' riders who allege they didn't know it was illegal not to have a front brake. I don't suppose the situation is enhanced by the sale of brakeless BMX bikes which get through the legal loophole by being sold 'only for use on a BMX/stunt park' - and these have a freewheel too! Doubly illegal if used on the road. Seriously, if you have an accident on the road and don't have a legal front brake/fixed wheel or 2 brakes/freewheel and injury/damage is caused to another party to the accident, then potentially no insurance company will cover you, the injured person will take you to the cleaners and the police will probably prosecute.

If a saddle is more than 350 mm (I think) high, the law states a front and rear brake must be used. That's the last thing I read anyway.

Although it is a nice looking bike, you need to be prepared to handle the possible consequences. And using toe clips would probably improve the look and ride of it.

Latest posts

Back