1980-1981 ALAN competizione -nearly finished

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well as it's pretty and nearly finished it time to show it here.

Frame: Alan Competizione 1980/1981 57x57cm

Fork: Alan round blades

Headset: Campagnolo 1" threaded
Stem: 3TTT
Handlebar: 3TTT
Bar Tape: Deda

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnolo C- record
Brake Calipers: Shimano 105 single pivot nutted
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Transfil

Shifters: Campagnolo downtube friction shifters.
Front Derailleur: Super record mid 80's
Rear Derailleur: Triomphe
Derailleur Cables: Transfil
Cassette: 13-18T 6 speed freewheel
Chain: KMC Z82
Cranks: Nuovo record/record/super record fluted 1049/A
Chainrings: Super record 52/44T 144BCD
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo cup and cone
Pedals: Shimano

Rims: Super competition Champion tubualr exact odel unknown
Hubs: Campagnolo Record age unknown
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo
Nipples: ?
Spokes: 2.0/1.7/2.0mm
Tyres: Front Hutchinson 700x22c tub rear Conti Giro 700x22c tub
Tubes: None

Saddle: Sella Italia turbo
Seatpost: 25.0mm Kalin
Seatpost Binder: Allen bolt

Bottle Cage:
Extras:

Weight: 19.5lbs heavier than I thought but my scales are not very accurate.
P1010077.jpg

And the shoes had to be Italian too and a bit retro
P1010079.jpg

P1010078.jpg

First ride impressions:
Well I though these frames were flexy but I di not notice that. The ride feels quite harsh compared to my other road bikes but they are modern steel designs but perfectly rideable.

It rolls very easily on these tubs, it is the first tubbed bike I have riden and I like it. I will be using in the WSW time trial series.

All I need now is to fit the top tube brake cable clamps which are on there way to me and a pair of (white?) hoods.

I am quite happy with it apart from the rear tub with is on backwards, I will have to re do that.

Bike looks good, don't forget to write up your time trials in the 2012 Time Trial Season thread.

Good luck with the racing,
Mark.

Oh Yes! Well, you knew I was going to like it didn't you? Did you use replacement forks in the end?
Explain the difference in ride that tubs offer. I'm really thinking of giving them a go. I still have the rims that came with my Alan and may have them built with newer hubs for my current (fairly retro) road bike.

No the orignal round forks. I ust could not bear the thought of new forks on this bike. I will take a unknown risk riding it I suppose. What the worst that can happen.

Tubs just seem to roll better (I think its partly down to the high pressure you can run 135 psi!). I suppose Conti GP4000 20-622 might roll as well with 130 psi in them but so does fitting narrow (23c) clinchers to a wide rim like the velocity A23.

When I ride my other bikes with gator skins, or any other clincher, they feel fine but do not seems to roll the same way. Difficult to put into words but I am a tub convert now.

Rolling resistance on tubs is definatley lower.

I'm definitely going to give tubs a go. Out of interest, did you have a set of replacement forks in mind? Were they going to be new ones?

As far as the wheels go, I wonder how many 9 speed hubs are available in 36 hole?

Shimano 105's and Miche racing box RC2 to name but two. The miche is the one I would recomend as they are lighter and are the same money. Also they are super smooth after 2000 miles of riding so far.

If I was going to replace the forks and you never know I might have to I would go for a set of carbon forks and change the headset and stem which would be a great shame. Oh I have a set of Vitus 979 forks so I may not have to if the steerer is long enough.

Back