Gios Lite c2000

Hawmaw

MacRetro Rider
Yet another probable Gios fake. This was advertised locally to me for a price that would suggest it's not a genuine 90's Gios so I went along for a look having done loads of internet research on the marque.

The seller was a nice guy. Keen cyclist who had a couple of nice bikes in the garage including a Vitus. He apparently bought this frame about 12 years ago from a reputable dealer advertising in a magazine and he believes it to be genuine. He sent it away to be re-painted and had the mudguard braze ons added for the Scottish weather. Extra bottle holder bosses were also added and the guy doing the work seemingly added a pump thingy unasked. He also added the wee rings on the head tube to help avoid cable rub. The seller assures me there was a Columbus sticker on it when he got the frame. Good story but I'm not convinced.

Bike is 57cm c-t and top tube is 54.5cm c-c.
Forks have sloping shoulders with Gios panto (or engraving)
Also has Gios panto at bb and cut outs underneath.
Dropouts are not drilled or marked
Seat post is 27.2mm Campy
BB is Campy
Cranks have a Campy crest on them and the big ring is Campy
Stem is adjustable.
Everything else is Shimano 105/RX100 mix
Weighs 10.5kg according to my bathroom scales

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Gios have a section on their site (It's all Italian but translate with Google) where you can upload images of close up areas that will determine if it is genuine. I did this with my Super Record & received confirmation from them, that it was genuine. Try that...

Nice looking frame whatever it's origin. Seems a bit overkill to have a pump peg behind the head tube and one on the seat stay. Which one did the respray guy add?

Mark.

Daft question, but where does the other end of the pump go? I can't see a second pump peg with my 1950's vision LOL

Shaun

He apparently added the one on the seat stay , and I can't see where the other end goes either.

daccordimark":a9k9qvx6 said:
Nice looking frame whatever it's origin.

If it is a reasonable price and you like it, you could always just buy it and ride it. Depends if it has to be a real Gios (plus, if there are doubts about it, you might have trouble selling it on later...)

Forgot to mention , it has the proper metal badge on the head tube.

I bought it anyway for what I think is a reasonable price even if it's not genuine.

Re: the top of the seat stays

yes the 70s and 80s Torino had distinctive top eyes but it seems later Gios frames didn't have that type:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/giosti ... 648377214/

http://vintagewheeler.blogspot.se/2010/ ... italy.html

The frames looks good to me, nothing about it looks out of place, it's not the usual low-end frames with big name transfers stuck on type of fake. Although the seat stays are not exactly the same as the one in the links.

I guess Gios frames have Italian threaded BBs. 10.5 kg is probably about right as it has mudguards and that stem, plus the other parts are prob not the lightest.

Latest posts

Back