Info on Revell Romany?

SantaHul

Retro Guru
Hi guys I've identified a bike I purchased as a Revell Romany. The serial number is FR866675, and I saw another on the CTC forum which had the number 870348, so I'm guessing the first two numbers are the year, which means mine was made in 1986. I also read that most didn't have fittings for a rack on the forks but mine does, which I guess would confirm it's a later model. They were made from 531ST throughout by a number of builders, but the only names I have are M Steel and Mercian. Other than this I don't know much about Revell at all, not even many pictures (mine has received a low quality respray, no decals or anything). They seem to have enjoyed a good reputation as an underdog alternative to the Dawes Galaxy; better quality frames but lower quality components.

I know they were sold in the Freewheel catalogue, which I understand was from Madison. There seems to be a lot of fond memories but not many hard facts. I was two years old when the 1986 Freewheel catalogue was released and my memory from around that time is a little hazy. I can't find any copies of any eighties catalogues online either.

This is about all I know about these bikes, and if anybody could give me any more information, or just more photos, I'd be really interested. I'm particularly curious about the FR on the frame number, did all frames have this (stands for Freewheel maybe?) or might it specifically identify the builder of my frame?

Thanks in advance, Steve.

Back