Mercier Mixte 700C

epic1400cs

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Our garden was burgled last Summer and my wife's Specialized Hybrid bike is one of the victim.
Instead of buying similar safe option (=boring), I have found this French mixte frame bike as cheap project.

DSC_6975.jpg

DSC_7021.jpg

DSC_7031.jpg

Frame: 510mm, Mixte, Steel
Fork: Steel
Headset: Unbranded, French Size
Stem: Alloy, French Size
Handlebar: Steel, 25mm@clamp, French Size?
Bar Grip: Black Rubber

Brake Levers: Unbranded Alloy, nice curve
Brake Calipers: Mafac Racer (F/R)

Shifters: Huret, Down Tube Double
Front Derailleur: Huret
Rear Derailleur: Huret
FreeWheel: 5 Speed Unknown
Chain: Unknown
Cranks: Solida Steel Cotter
Chainrings: Steel, 48T, 40T
Bottom Bracket: Probably French
Pedals: Unknown Brand Steel Touring Pedal

Rims: Ridgida Steel 700c, 36H
Hubs: Unbranded Alloy, Solid Axle with wing nut fixing
Nipples: Steel
Spokes: Steel
Tyres: Michelin World Tour 700 x 28c

Saddle: Unknown Plastic
Seatpost: Steel, 24.5mm(!) dia.
Seatpost Binder: Steel Bolt/nut

Extras: TA Front Rack, Soubitez Front Lamp, Dynamo and Rear Light

Weight: 13.8kg

My aim is to tidy up this bike with minimum expense and make it look like this Rene Herse :LOL:

herse-mixte.jpg

Beautiful original looking bike! The lamp mount on the front rack is really neat. :cool:

I did something similar for my lady friend at Xmas. She had seen the Lovely Bike Blog website, and hence hers ended up with cream tyres and retro-twee turned up to eleven. Instead of something original looking with gum walls.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the project. ;)

Thaks for the compliment. Actually the bike is very rusty and much worse condition than I was informed before I got it. However, the original design of the bike is pretty good.

I like the website you mentioned.
We may not be brave enough to have white tyres but who knows, I will keep that in our option for sure!
Can I see your build for your lady friend somewhere on the net?

Nice idea, tons of potential there. Look forward to seeing this progress. I thought about something similar recently and got as far as a parts wishlist which included MTB thumbshifters. Never got round to it but will watch your build with interest. :D

Hi Rich34, bonsoir! :)
I noticed you are from France!
Thanks for your comment.
I have looked through ebay France to find these vintage bikes but seems like not very popular anymore?
I don't know much about this French brand Mercier - did they make racing bikes in 70's?

I import quite a few french bicycles and have had alot of these mixte style of frame by mercier,peugeot,gitane,motobecane or le jeune. They all seem very similar and are generally kitted out with the same simplex/mafac groups. nice to see a few original touches like the front rack with the dynamo light. I'm currently renovating a mixte electra frame, can't seem to find anything about it though, which is annoying as i've just had a 70's racer delivered by the same brand, where it looks pretty average the frame is pretty well made and it would be nice to know its pedigree..

Attachments

• IMG00462-20120105-1559.jpg
    IMG00462-20120105-1559.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 10,863
  • IMG00466-20120105-1600.jpg
    IMG00466-20120105-1600.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 10,863
  • IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 10,863
hurin76, that mixte electra is amazing, has astonishing colour scheme even for today's standard!
Thanks for the info re French bike brand - I knew only a couple of French brands so it is nice to know.
Although this Mercier doesn't look like expensive bike, it is well made for daily use with nice charming touch I thought and your explanation really make sense to me.
I am also fan of Peugeot PX50 randonneur (is it correct spelling?) and hope to have it one day.

SIMONFREESE, yeah good point! It might also be useful thread to convert missus so that they are happy that we spend time and money on bikes :LOL:

epic1400cs":2ueop4ub said:
I am also fan of Peugeot PX50 randonneur (is it correct spelling?) and hope to have it one day.

I think I have a few randoneurs in my latest delivery, only got one pictured so far, i've had a few in the past as well, need to get them all sorted out.

Attachments

• IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 10,831
Bonjour Epic,

You see a few Merciers on French eBay and also on Leboncoin (similar to Gumtree) - they were an important brand once. The Poulidor pink 531 racing bikes are a popular choice for restorers, and they did a nice blue one too. I have a grey one:

MyMercier.jpg

It has the similar decal style to yours. At some point I'll find the time to strip and restore it, it's complete and original. I think mine is from '76 based on the Shimano 600 components, but I could be out by a year or two. If you want to see more restored Merciers have a look at this French site:

http://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewforum.php?f=30

Back