Raleigh Milk Race Special

endlessmike

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone!

I've been scouring the web for a good few days now trying to find some information on my newly acquired bike. With not much luck at the moment!

As mentioned its a Raleigh Milk Race Special, and from what I can gather, it was manufactured in the mid eighties?

Either way, its the first road bike I've bought, and I'm planning on giving it a complete overhaul as it was in pretty bad shape when I got it.

Unfortunately, I neglected to take pictures of it when i first got it. But I ended to use this thread as a workbook if you will.

At the moment its a pile of bits in my front room, having taken it all apart tonight, I intend to get it sand blasted and repainted within the next couple of week. As I mentioned earlier, the frame was in pretty bad shape, awfully rusted.

This refurb was going to be bringing it back to its former glory as a bright white beauty. However having been unable to locate any orignal (or imitation) decals, I intend to completely overhaul it, and I was hoping for some help, as I am a complete novice.

Firstly, the original bottom bracket basically crumbled as i removed it, So has anyone got any suggestions for a replacement? It was a Square chamfered one before? (These terms are all new to me I'm afraid!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Just for some extra detail

Frame: Raleigh Milk Race

Fork: Raleigh Milk Race

Headset: Raleigh?
Stem: Custom
Handlebar: Custom
Bar Tape: none

Brake Levers: Raleigh? original to the bike i think
Brake Calipers: not sure, production code is 500A though
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: N/A

Shifters: Sachs (downtube ones)
Front Derailleur: Sachs Huret
Rear Derailleur: Sachs Huret
Derailleur Cables: N/A
Cassette: Shimano
Chain: -
Cranks: Custom
Chainrings: -
Bottom Bracket: Tange (can't see type)
Pedals: MKS Sylvan

Rims: -
Hubs: Maillard
Hub Skewers: N/A
Nipples: -
Spokes: -
Tyres: Michelin (Although I think they're too big for the Rims?)
Tubes: Michelin

Saddle: Duraflex
Seatpost: -
Seatpost Binder: -

Bottle Cage: None
Extras: mini mud guards and raleigh wheel reflectors

Weight: Not Measured

Back