Joe Waugh 531 Designer Select 'Sick' Paintjob

wallonie11

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Just finishing piecing this together using frame and wheels I already had and recently acquired 600 Ultegra transmission.

The paint job I believe is an acquired taste. Sadly I have never acquired the taste for it, but its in too good original condition to want to get changed. The colours appear to have been applied by sponge. I remember several bikes like this early 90s - anyone else got one?

Build is:
Joe Waugh 531 Designer Select Frame and Fork (57square)
Shimano 600 groupset (Crankset, F&R Mech, Seatpost, Brakes, Brake Levers, Down Tube Levers)
Mavic MA3 Red Rims (closest I could afford to Heliums) on Mirage Hubs
Turbomatic2 saddle
Cinelli Eubois bar on XA stem
Original 700x20 Conti Super Sports

Attachments

• waugh1.jpg
    waugh1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,612
  • waugh2.jpg
    waugh2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,611
  • waugh3.jpg
    waugh3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,610
  • waugh4.jpg
    waugh4.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,612
What were they thinking in the paint shop that day? I'm not sure that taste is something I'd be keen to acquire... Nice build though.
nick

Looks like it's been paintballed.

Remembering back to the late eighties and early nineties though, some of the styles were a bit striking to put it mildly. A mate of mine had factory finished flouro orange, pink and green look pedals and got his custom built frame sprayed up to match. Seeing was believing.

Did it come with a free Happy Mondays LP? :shock:

If it was mine I'd have to get it repainted: the nagging feeling that it could be a really beautiful bike with a classy paint job would kill me. I expect it looks better in real life, mind. How about some outdoors pictures?

thats the thing, i don't think it does look better in real life... I'm just very reluctant to modify a frame in good original condition. I'm thinking perhaps Splash tape is the answer :shock:
Who knows, perhaps one day it will come back into top fashion? doubt it...

If you wait long enough it will be fashionable all over again, as my Mum used to say. That said, you might be too old to ride a bike by the time yours is cool again... If I were you I'd take some nice pictures as mementos, then consign the 90s paint scheme to the style-crime dustbin of history and get it repainted mate. It's a lovely frame and forks and the psychedelic vomit paint does it no justice whatsoever, in my opinion.

I knew there was something wrong with it, but I've only just worked out what it is. It's that bar tape! How can you live with it? Do the decent thing --- get some splash tape on there and enter it for rBotM.

Back