Another Colnago!

blacka01

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

First post, but been lurking for a while. I've been on the lookout for nice classic Italian road frame (Colnago, Ciocc, Gios etc.) for a while in my size (60). A few months ago I spotted a tatty but basically sound Colnago Super on Evilbay. Pics to follow

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Managed to win the auction and immediately got in touch with Argos regarding the resto. I was torn between going for Saronni red and keeping it the original blue, but eventually decided on the latter. The forks and seat stay also needed re-chroming and in a moment of madness I decided to go for the extravagance of chroming the head tube lugs. I supplied the decals, from Cyclomondo

In the meantime the hunt for a nice Super Record group and appropriate finishing kit began:

Panto'd NOS Colnago Super Record Seatpost from eBay, way too expensive!

web.jpg

Panto NOS Colnago stem from http://defietsenmaker.nl/ for a decent price. Would have preferred silver but seen a couple go for silly money on eBay

web.jpg

Nice condition Nuovo Record cranks from eBay, with the big chainring swapped out for a reproduction Panto one from Cyclomondo

web.jpg

Set of very nice Super Record mechs and shifters from eBay

web.jpg

Good condition SR levers from eBay, but with nice NOS hoods De Fietsenmaker

web.jpg

Large flange SR hubs from eBay

web.jpg

I don't like most 80's saddles so will go with a Brooks Swift, and will also be using Brooks black leather bar tape

web.jpg

I've also picked up various small items (mostly NOS) such as stainless steel rear mech cables, drop out adjusters, seat post binder etc. Still on the hunt for nice rims and bars.

So after a couple of months Argos have finished the frame (it's the chroming that takes ages) and should arrive in the next couple of days so I can start building her up. Very excited! :)

Looks like a great project. I am in the middle of scaring myself with the silly prices you've got to pay on ebay for the 'right' stuff :shock:

Yes, eBay can be a very scary place especially for the rarer stuff. It's definitely worth regularly scouring the stock lists of the various shops on the internet, the prices seem more reasonable. For example i recently saw the same stem on eBay go for more than twice what i paid.

blacka01":3eyyznub said:
Yes, eBay can be a very scary place especially for the rarer stuff. It's definitely worth regularly scouring the stock lists of the various shops on the internet, the prices seem more reasonable. For example i recently saw the same stem on eBay go for more than twice what i paid.

True, I bought a NOS 3TTT stem from a british mail order company after doing a google search. It is a genuine '95 part and I paid £9.99 ! £25+ on ebay !! They also had nos 3TTT ergo bars for the same price - £72 on ebay !!

The frame looks lovely by the way, keep us updated :cool:

wow! :shock: what a great restoration job!
I used bob jackson to "restore" a Dave Russell i had - the quality and attention to detail was very poor.
i would love to know how much it cost you! ;)

Back