1939 Raleigh Record Ace (RRA)

kohl57@yahoo.com

Old School Hero
This was acquired from a fellow collector here in the USA who bought it about four years from a relative of the original owner (I think as he had the original receipts).

Built up as a club machine with the original Sturmey-Archer 12 v. Dynohub (massive and heavy!) with 26 x 1 1/4 Endrick rims and a 1939 Sturmey-Archer AW hub, I am building an alternate time trialling wheelset comprising Conloy 700c pre-war sprint rims and SA 1930 AR close-ratio hub.

Original paint and downtube transfers. Frame was damaged early on but apparently repaired as tracks and rides beautifully. Finding these in the 23" frame (only offered in 1939-42) is VERY difficult indeed.

Full details and lots more pix here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9157103@N0 ... 608103569/

Attachments

• 1939 RRA.jpg
    1939 RRA.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 2,183
Blimey :) I was born in the 50's and worked in a bike shop in the 70's and don't remember a bike that old coming through the doors!

Jurassic park for bikes LOL

The older bikes I came across had solid levers and not cable brakes..

Reminds me of the bike stuff I saw at Kill Devil Hill...

Shaun

bloody hell that is gorgeous!!!

thats even better than your 1948 one :shock:

how many gorgeous bikes can one person have ?

What a nice bike! Good to see something a bit older here. From a time when bike manufacturers made virtually everything themselves.

I remember those brake levers. Aren't there 2 positions for the pivot bolt so they can be used on drop and flat bars?

Back