Peugeot 653 Athena (restomod - purists step away...)

Kerplunk

Senior Retro Guru
This started out life as a 1990 Peugeot 653 Athena but by the time it got into my hands the only headset was still original and the paint and chrome were beyond saving. But the frame was definitely worth saving so my "40th birthday present to myself" project began. Frame was shipped off to Bob Jackson to strip and paint. Budget didn't stretch to replicating the original paint scheme and chrome so went with a metallic enamel with lug lining to finish it off. Groupset is a Shimano 105 (5600) that I got nice and cheap from Merlin Cycles with Ultegra (6600) brakes moved over from another bike. Its been built up and sat in my garage for a month as I waited for my life to 'begin' and today was the first ride. Have to say I'm pretty chuffed with it, rides beautifully.

35jwgwh.jpg

Yes, running 10 speed cassette. The rear was reset to 130mm by Jackson's when they did the respray. Totally agree about the modern cranks, they look more agricultural than elegant. Budget wasn't massive so £280 for complete 105 groupset won out as I couldn't find a nice looking cheap modern compact crank. Are there any out there?

cor, that looks good

I really liked those 653 Athena's. I also like what you've done - the original was quite classy (in a pink and purple 90's kind of way!) but it looks like you've toned it down and made it look like a really nice classic machine. They are great frame sets and well worth investing in. Nice to see it having a new lease of life!

Like those cranks. Quite glad I didn't see them before the build or I'd have been tempted to track some down, no doubt at great expense. Ideally I'd have liked some slightly paler bar tape but couldn't find anything local.

http://cyclespeugeot.com/PDFs/1990UKpro.pdf this catalogue has the bike in its original guise. Just wish it had got to me with the Athena groupset on it.

Same bike as mine. Bought it new in 1991. Resprayed it myself about 10 years ago. Most of the original Campag Athena kit is still present.

Attachments

• athena-sml.jpg
    athena-sml.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 6,959

Latest posts

Back