1978 Peugeot "super competition"

HQDP

Dirt Disciple
I recently got this frameset off a well known auction site. 531 main tubes, simplex dropouts, pearlescent blue-green paint, half chromed forks. 7 figure frame number begins with 8, which I believe indicates 1978.

The idea is to build it up fixed to use as my commuter, allowing my harry quinn to be promoted to geared fair weather status!

I'm thinking mafac centre-pulls, mavic rims, stronlight...keep it as french as possible. the installed stronglight hs and bb are both in good nick.

Attachments

• stickerLion.jpg
    stickerLion.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 4,703
  • stickerSupercomp.jpg
    stickerSupercomp.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 4,703
  • sticker531.jpg
    sticker531.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 4,703
  • overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 4,705
the paint was in reasonable condition, except a relatively large area of the top tube around the seat cluster lug, the cable guides on the top tube, rub from a pump at the BB, and a couple of large chips in the down tube. I mixed some paint to get as close a colour as possible. It's certainly not a perfect match (especially given the pearlescent effect of the original), but I'm relatively happy with it, and have touched up the worst areas: it will protect it from the elements, and not look too obvious...

The chrome is in pretty good condition, I think a quick polish will bring it back to life.

Attachments

• retouch.jpg
    retouch.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 4,688
  • rust2.jpg
    rust2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 4,688
The frames the same model as I've just bought from the same well known site. (see http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181533 ). Mines without headset and bottom bracket though.

The serial no. on mine starts with an 8 too. From the research I've done I think it's probably a 1979 model year PVN10 as it has the 3 main tubes and forks in 531 and the forks are partially painted blue). Also this appears to be the first year that the frames had braze on cable guides and shifter mounts.

(Check out http://cyclespeugeot.com/Catalogs.html )

vivelesalpes":18oy6jms said:
The frames the same model as I've just bought from the same well known site. (see http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181533 ). Mines without headset and bottom bracket though.

The serial no. on mine starts with an 8 too. From the research I've done I think it's probably a 1979 model year PVN10 as it has the 3 main tubes and forks in 531 and the forks are partially painted blue). Also this appears to be the first year that the frames had braze on cable guides and shifter mounts.

It does indeed look exactly like a 1979 PV10. I guess a 1979 model frame could have been made in 78? I noticed that my BB axle had 79 stamped on it.

What colour are you getting yours re-sprayed?

My guess (rightly or wrongly) is that the frame was built in 1978 but is a 1979 model. Current manufacturers seem to have next years model available from late the previous summer (if you see what I mean) and this could be the same, plus their is a chance that Peugeot may have made a batch of frames ready for assembly.

I'm aiming to get the frame sprayed in the same colour assuming I can get a decent colour match, otherwise it will be white. (I'm not sure on the ethical stance of getting a frame sprayed a different colour - ideally I would not be getting it sprayed as I feel that it will have lost some of its originality, but it's got one or two too many chips and scrapes for my liking).

I'm getting it done at Vernon Barker Cycles near Sheffield. I've been using Vernon's services since the early nineties and remember going in his workshop back in the day and seeing frames for the likes of Malcom Elliot, Tim Gould and David Baker awaiting collection.

Like you I'm going for French bits - not as collectable as Italian bits, but a hell of a lot cheaper !

I have CLB brakes (the mafac centre-pulls I had my eyes on seem to be a bit too popular on the 'bay) and a peugeot branded SR Sakae chainset (I guess possibly from a slightly later period) arriving soon...

I also rashly bid on and won an inexpensive potential donor bike...not sure what it is. It was advertised as a 501 frame, but the frame sticker seems to indicate full 531, and it looks to have a rather racy geometry and to be of a similar mid-late 70s vintage (?), with LF campag hubs, simplex gears, triple stronglight chainset. We'll see if it's something interesting...I may need to keep it! I'm already thinking of ways to convince the missus that I really need to expand my bike collection from 2 to 4 in the space of a couple of weeks...any helpful suggestions much appreciated!

Attachments

• mysterydonorbike.JPG
    mysterydonorbike.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 4,490
Back