Steel Omega

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Project Omega is now for sale! :D :( viewtopic.php?f=47&t=272051
This will probably remain mine for a while atleast:

P1130360.jpg

Obviously needs parts changing, actually every part! I intend to fit one of my Campagnolo Engraved groupsets (11 speed Athena perhaps, maybe 10 speed Veloce, Athena Mix). Quill stem of course, silver seatpost and decent saddle.

Not sure what tubing it is, the only other one I can find is on LFGSS in the classifieds section which the seller thought was 653. Was drawn to those spearpoint, webbed lugs and just check that fag paper clearence between tyre and seat tube!

P1130364.jpg

P1130366.jpg

http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/Telsun/Omega/

Can anyone shed any light on the build? I'm thinking about contacting Mark Reilly who now works for Enigma cycles to see if he can give me some details.

best bet is to contact Mark , as you say he used to own Omega before they went bust .

Looks very similar to the 853 Claud Butler Professional I just sold apart from the insane clearance....

Like it a lot...

Blimey that is close :shock: ...have to be careful on tyre pressures to prevent tyre growth and it rubbing on the seat tube :LOL: ....I had a mid/late 90's Fausto Coppi Lugano gas pipe special that was the same minimal clearance and it was a nightmare trying to get the psi right so it didnt rub :roll: :LOL:

Got this message from Mark:

That’s a very early frame, most likely 1994, back then I used mainly Vitus tubing. The lugs are Long Shen 300 series, arrowhead. Still use them now, lovely!

Yes very close clearance but I tried it with a different tyre/ wheel combo and it was a little better:

P1130375.jpg

I think perhaps some 20c tyres are in order.

Have dedicated a page to the revamp on my site: http://stallioncycles.webs.com/omega.htm

I've got a few parts for it Cinelli bars and stem, Use Alien seatpost (maybe) one of my engraved chainsets and have just ordered some more Campag bits and pieces for it.

Finally got some parts sorted, a mix of new Veloce and Athena but of course I wanted to go a step further and add some engraving to the silver parts to give a more traditional look so here are the parts intended for the build:

Chainset - 11 speed Athena - with engraved logo
P1120536.jpg

More pics here: http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55 ... %20Torque/

Athena Rear Mech - with engraved Script
P1140038.jpg

Veloce Front Mech - with engraved logo
P1140048.jpg

Veloce Non Skeleton Calipers - with engraved Script
P1140054.jpg

Veloce 10 Speed Ergos - with engraved logo
P1140060.jpg

More pictures of the parts here: http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55 ... ?start=all

However now I have the parts I've had second thoughts and this lot will end up on another project I think and the Omega will inherit something different.

otherself":375gjp11 said:
That is a beauty! Love them lugs.

I've got a set of them tucked away for if I decide to get a new frame built for me sometime in the future - plus a set of fluted tubing.

Ok so I slate Ian Raleigh for taking time on his project which is at least in progress I thought that I should dig this up and actually get on with it.

Having 3 other projects awaiting my attention I've been procrastinating about the builds (yes all of them) however this build has now been decided so I'll update on it's progress soon.

Hopefully I'll get the new headset early next week and then the build will be on it's way.

I've decided to stick with the original paint because its the right thing to do :)

The bike was stripped down to a frame a long time ago. I didn't grab any decent shots but you can see a few here: http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55 ... /stripped/ There's a few scratches and I did have a little wobble again as to whether to have it resprayed but I stuck to my guns and am keeping the original paint...

My parts bin has been building up and I have pretty much all the parts I need for it now, although as mentioned above the decision on just how to build it has only just come together in my mind...Most of the parts just "appeared" and I ear marked them for this. I think the only part I intentionally found was the stem.

So today I made a start with the rebuild. I'm not too good at this *project building malarky though so you'll have to forgive the lack of before, during and after shots.

Campag headset replaces the Shimano 600 sealed, which is a superb headset easily out-performing the Campag but I loathe mixing parts especially Japanese and European:

P1150388.jpg

Wheels are Campagnolo Cassette hubs on de-badged Rigida DP18 polished rims. Radial laced on the front and on the non drive side on the rear, cross spoked on the drive side (rear only ofcourse!)

P1150389.jpg

P1150390.jpg

Tyres are 20c Continental Supersonic which I chose to increase the gap behind the seat tube. They are also an extremely light folding tyre so should help create a lively ride, although DP18's are not renown for their lightness.

P1150381.jpg

Now this is where it gets a little more adventurous....

Front mech is a debadged and polished Campag Daytona - shame I didn't take a before picture:

P1150386.jpg

Rear mech is a polished Veloce 8 speed. It was polished by Laz and sold onto me. I actually brought it just because it was a perfect base to try out some engraving on rear mechs which is doable but rather expensive! Looks good and perfect for this build:

P1150385.jpg

So this is how it looks so far:

P1150379.jpg

*In reality I have completed a great number of projects I just don't make a habit of documenting them...

Back