Rejuvinated for training/commuting duties

Ross 1964

Devout Dirtbag
I bought this 1986 Raleigh Gran Tour frame new, toured on it extensively and have recently restored it for daily use, as my only bike for winter Sportive training and a 12 mile each-way commute.

The old 600 tricolour groupset remains in places, including the silky hubs on the MA40 handbuilts from 1990.

New saddle, bars, stem, transmission (compact with a seven speed including a bail-out 34 sprocket), headset, brake pads (amazing difference from the old) on the superb old Weinmann centre pulls.

And of course a new colour, in dedication to my two year old (Nell Lois) and because I've always wanted a pink bike since lusting after the pink Italian tour beasts (Colnago mebbe?) many years ago.

It rides like a new bike and looks much much better in my opinion (not all will agree with that !!). I'm delighted to have my old friend back in fulltime duty after all these years.

P1030057web.jpg

P1040167-Copy.jpg

Liked the original better, only because of the colours since I'm a fan of black and gold bikes. But I'm not a conservative myself, really fond of people who 'pimp' their own bike so it looks unique.

It's nice and you're happy with it, so I guess it's ok!

Looks like the pink colour used by Mercier. Nice! When Nell Lois tells you she preferred it how it was :shock: you can always have it re-done in its original colours...

Mercier, that's it!! You've just jogged a long-distant memory of why I've lusted after a pink bike for so many years!

Now I've lived with it a wee while I'm having no regrets but I like the idea of little Nell growing up and telling me what a horrible coloured bike Dad has got!

Windowlene pinkl, you're right!

Back