Battered MKM frame

CTK

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Beaucoup de Patina! I believe it was once cherry red- the paint has faded to white in parts. Lots of rust spots but nothing that looks anywhere near terminal, unfortunately there is a small dent to the top tube (other side to pic)

I want to leave as is and just touch up paint where needed (just to protect it) ride it as a winter bike with some race guards and then decide on a possible restoration next year...

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

Looks like the usual competent MKM job. Do you have the forks? They quite often have an MKM engraving on them as do the tops of the seat stays. What is the frame number? This will date it quite accurately. Should refurb into a nice bike when you get it done. Decals are available from Lloyds.

Before I forget frame number is 6195 - I think that dates it to late 70s possibly 79.

I dont have the original forks but have some I can use.
I've touched the paintwork up to an extent and will build it up as soon as the paint has dried. A random selection of old& new.

It's a lovely looking frame - I think I'd build it up as is too. I saw a gent on an MKM coasting happily downhill on the Transpennine Trail near Eckington a few weeks ago - your could see from a hundred yards away that it was a great bike.

Keep the pics coming!

I like the frame and its distinctive MKM graphics. Also a nice project for 2012.

I peeled the black decals away which left revealed MKM unfaded in the original red paint. I scraped the rusted areas down to the metal with a stanley blade. Filled the dent with some car body filler (what an easy job!) & then layered red and white Hammerite over the bare metal. I've sanded it down with some wet and dry and its pretty much good as new...

IMG_3031.jpg
IMG_3029.jpg
IMG_3035.jpg

CTK":13hlpxs0 said:
then layered red and white Hammerite over the bare metal. ]

Is that available in striped and polka dot versions? Or just chequered?

:shock: :roll: ;)

My local B&Q only had stock of 'Scruffy Mess' from the Hammerite pre-patternated range.

Back