Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:30 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:02 pm 
Retro Guru

I have just got hold of yet another frameset to add to the ever growing list of renovation projects. It is a 1948 Humber Beeston Clubman so basically the same as the Raleigh Lenton Clubman and the Rudge Clubman.
What I am trying to find out is what colour was it originally painted? I know the Lenton was an olive metallic green and the Rudge a lovely metallic burnt orange both of which I have seen. But the only reference I can find for the Humber is metallic blue. I have not been able to find a colour picture of the Humber to get an idea of shade. I can see on the frame where the Sturmey Archer gear wheel band was that the colour is basically silver with a hint of blue / green is this correct do you think or has this paint faded too? No head badge to look under as it is a transfer. Any help from you boys would be great.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:10 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

stevevw wrote:
I have just got hold of yet another frameset to add to the ever growing list of renovation projects. It is a 1948 Humber Beeston Clubman so basically the same as the Raleigh Lenton Clubman and the Rudge Clubman.
What I am trying to find out is what colour was it originally painted? I know the Lenton was an olive metallic green and the Rudge a lovely metallic burnt orange both of which I have seen. But the only reference I can find for the Humber is metallic blue. I have not been able to find a colour picture of the Humber to get an idea of shade. I can see on the frame where the Sturmey Archer gear wheel band was that the colour is basically silver with a hint of blue / green is this correct do you think or has this paint faded too? No head badge to look under as it is a transfer. Any help from you boys would be great.

Many years ago [when in my teens] I was given a Beeston Clubman for a birthday present by my uncle, the frame colour was as near as I remember, Burgundy although I could not be certain this was the original colour.If it wasn`t all the bits had been removed to refinish it. When I obtained a more modern machine I returned it to my uncle Don`t know what be came of it, comfy bike to ride though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:59 pm 
Retro Guru

The 1957 Beeston Sport came in Flamboyant Royal Carmine or Electric Blue, so yours I suppose could have been Royal Carmine, although I think Royal carmine is a bright flamboyant red.

I have found the 1952 Sports was Periwinkle blue which looks to be a light metallic blue.

Can't find much information on the 1948 Clubman any of you have a dealer catalogue for 1948?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:04 pm 
Retro Guru

I'd love to see some pics Steve - I've got a real soft spot for Lentons, and I love the Austin-Wolsey-MG style badge engineering too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:59 pm 
Retro Guru

The first picture shows the colour from under a cable holder. In real life it is slightly more blue with a hint of green. As you can see plenty of work to be done on this one but will be worth it once finished and last another 60 years+