1987 Pennine 753 - a small update

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Felt a weee bit guilty in purchasing this from Pickle (rumoured to be back with a vengeance in 2012) as it has been his for a very long time...

Here it is in all its sitting room glory -

Pennine Cycles - http://www.penninecycles.com/# 1987 handbuilt frame with Reynolds 753 tubing

56cm c to c top tube with 59cm seat tube

Cinelli stem and bars

Campagnolo headset, BB, chainset and seatpost

Campagnolo Delta brakeset

Campagnolo Vento wheelset, 7spd cassette

Shimano 'tricolour' 600 mechs and shifters

Plans? It will lose the Jon Lee decals and gain some 753, strip clean, polish and rebuild in time for a fresh Winter day or the first warmth of Spring.

I would like some ID on the models of the post, headset and chainset so I can purchase something vaguely in keeping.

Attachments

• Pennine.jpg
    Pennine.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 5,603
  • rear stays.jpg
    rear stays.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 5,603
  • Camp-Shimano!.jpg
    Camp-Shimano!.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 5,603
Nice looking frame LGF, is it 753 or 653?

The seatpin looks like old Super Record and I'm guessing the chainset and headset are C-Record seeing as it's got Delta brakes. I'm not up on this era of Campag though so hopefully I'm wrong otherwise you've got an expensive job on your hands kitting it out with full C-Record!

Mark.

PS: Looking again, it's very understated isn't it? The saddle is so retiring I didn't even notice what it is, perhaps a nice Regal would suit it.

Pickle":1uhjvoxy said:
I'd forgotten how beautiful it is :cool:
There is an old thread kicking around with a couple of camera phone pics, but I thought I'd run a decent thread with proper pics. It deserves it.
I don't know the exact year of this bike; I'd guess late 80's/early 90's. If anyone can be any more specific please let me know.
It is Reynolds 753 tubing, and was a little rough round the edges when I got it. However, I still raced it as was for a couple of years before having it re-sprayed by custom frame builder Geoff Mindum in Suffolk. It was originally painted a creamy white with yellow decals, so despite changing to the current blue I ensured the new white Pennine decals are exact replicas of the originals.
The running components remain original to when I purchased it, being mainly Campagnolio to include the bottom bracket, seatpost and headset. The exception is Shimano 600 front and rear mech's and shifters. I have however replaced the bars and stem with Cinelli items, added a Flite saddle and upgraded the wheels to Campagnolio Vento.

Pennine are still in business in Bradford and their old frame builder still does his bit there. Could be worth a call if you have a frame number but be aware that a lot of their records went when they moved.

Bit of an update - replaced most of the Shimano bits with Campagnolo and given it the beginnings of a spruce up.

Pickle's decals are a git to get off in the cold so without a hairdryer to hand, they will stay until some sunny spring day arrives.

Pumped up the original tyres just to see, and yup, after some 10 years flat they inflated ok.

A quick ride and this feels 'right' - some road frames feel just a little dead and have led to great disappointment whereas this felt right straight away. Just gotta play with lever positioning as I'm a hood rider.

Saddle is a Turbomatic from 1993 - taken gratefully as payment for my MTB collection services.

Attachments

• Pennine update.jpg
    Pennine update.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 5,280
Glad its in safe hands. I rode it with a grey Flite that really suited it.

My parents have found the original receipt from when I purchased it. Will scan and load up soon.

I also have some pics of its original paint finish which may help the model ID.

Been looking at this bike a while and wondering what it was that didnt look right or feel right - it was the bar/ stem combo. Being a different bodyshape to the previous owner meant that it was still really set up for a different rider.

So, I had a spare Cinelli bar stem combo waiting to go on from the Norman (which in itself is getting rebuilt) and all of a sudden, it was 'right' once more.

Attachments

• 1987 Pennine.jpg
    1987 Pennine.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 4,590
otherself":2h4xv5a5 said:
Cool. What group is it....Athena?

A terrible mix of Shampagnolo - Croce D'une Deltas, modern 105 front mech, anyhoo rear mech, 600 DT shifters and C-record levers! Plus! Miss-matched Vento's....

Phew.

Latest posts

Back