'Harry Hall' - First Road 'Restomod'

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
With some trepidation I enter the world of road 'restomodding', if there is such a world. I should start by saying I no nothing about road cycling other than stuff gleaned watching the telly every July. Anyways, here's the project - acquired a well worn Harry Hall 531c frameset last year and have now stripped and powdercoated it Stumpjumper Team pink (almost certainly my first mistake... ;-) ), with Gil M hired to redraw the red and black graphics in their original format. The original 600 groupset is being upgraded to Dura Ace 7700 for the most part, with some contemporary American Classic wheels for good measure. Is there such a thing as a Dura Ace downtube band adaptor available for the shifters?

All I want at the end of it is a local-bred, classic-styled frame, that is reliable and comfortable for the odd sportif or two next year - no awards being sought here! Advice on bars and stem would be good, so hints and tips welcome...

Attachments

• HH Decals.jpg
    HH Decals.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,826
  • HH 2011.JPG
    HH 2011.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,827
Blimey :shock:

My suggestion is that you go Di2 but run it with cables in friction mode.

Is there such a thing as a Dura Ace downtube band adaptor available for the shifters?

Hmm... I doubt. For DT shifters or stops?

Nice project Neil. What year is the frame?

i have to say i am not surprised by your colour choice, i think you are being too influenced by all that polo/fixie crowd you hang with these days!

:D

but seriously though, i do understand the appeal of older frame and modern bits, i think that is where alot of improvements over the years have been made. i realise there are carbon lightweight frames etc but steel frames are so nice to ride and realistically not that heavy so equipping it with a modern groupset to me is a sensible option. i did it with my cougar a while ago although most of that kit is now on my cross bike.

should be a cool build.

Is there such a thing as a Dura Ace downtube band adaptor available for the shifters?

I've got a set of Dura Ace friction shifters with a band on adaptor if you're interested

6267453264_d113d50e52_z.jpg

Re. the Dura Ace band, I think I am! Mel, the year of the frame is to be determined, but local knowledge suggests late 80s.... As for the pink, well my real inspiration was the mechanic at BETD who has his cross bike resprayed in 'Stumpjumper Pink' a few years back - it looked so good I knew I'd copy it at some point. For the record - polo bikes are all wrecks and I, nor polo folk have next to nothing to do with the urban fixie or hipsta scene you allude to, so there!

If it is late 80s, why doesn't it have braze ons for the shifters than?? Cut off at some point?

I doubt whether you can mount modernish index shifters onto a band intended for friction shifters, but I could be wrong.

I've got a 1976-77 Vintage Falcon San-Remo which does not have any brazed on bits.......everything is on bands LOL

AND

It's in nearly the same pink as that :)

Shaun

Actually it's the bike in the avatar on the left

Back