1987 Peugeot Triathlon Racer

will16

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,
Seeing as I've be posting about this I thought I may as well start a build thread!

Well, I'll start on my history. I was into BMX, but as time past it got boring, and lugging my 25+ lbs : evil: gruffalo 2 miles, to the park, it wasn’t worth it . Now I go round a mates frequently, fixing, burning :D stuff yadda yadda, (He’s a bit of a IT wiz! :roll: ), and at the bottom of his garden, he had this! It was his mums, and she bought its 2nd hand, and used it thoroughly! I bought it, and as they say, the rest is history :roll: !

When I first got it, I did the bare minimum :oops: ! Basically, had the wheels off, clean with warm, soapy water, stuck new tubes in it and off I went. I did a small 9 mile route and it was fine, apart from that fact that the rear gears dont change! Doh :LOL: ! The bike held up OK, but now I realise it needs a proper clean up, so I started last weekend......

When I first got it:

Last weekend:

Today:

The plan is to rebuild it, with as little money, and using the original/NOS vintage parts.

The bike has a Sachs and Hurret Casette gears, Aluminum Mavic rimes, with Mallard hubs. Apex stem, Reynalds 501 Frame and Forks, Christophe toe clips, and Mallard pedals. The gears are, 19, 17, 15, 14, 13.

The hubs say 1987, so that is the year I think it was produced, BUT I think it could of been produced in 86, and fitted with Hop-Up Mavic rimes, Casette etc?? Anyone care to shed some light on this?? Though it is a Triathlon, so the casette and rimes etc may of been stock??

The bikes serial number is Y706 32824 Anyone reconise this/read it??

Also can anyone recommend some new road cable, for the gears? It must have these things on the end=

Sorry for the long post, it just came out :roll: !!

Will

Looking at those part specs, mine are differant. Mine is a 12 speed, has differant Mavic rims, 501 tubing, and 700c x 20c tires.

Also can anyone recommend some new road cable, for the gears?

these gear cables are standard and you can buy them at a local bike shop...

'jagwire' is a good brand that has these gear cables at different prices/qualities..

I used to have one of these...

...until it got stolen from the bike sheds in 1990! Used to be my old training bike: I worked in a bike shop at the time and it used to have all sorts of random parts on it. Maillard large flange front hub, radially spoked onto those concave Wienmann rims etc etc. I liked it! Good luck with the restoration.

Back