Hirame frame restoration what paint finish

hirameuser

Retrobike Rider
I am about to rebuild my Hirame bike of 25 years after it was run over by a 4x4 (on soft ground ). groupset was mostly shimano 600 ex pre sis and I now have all the second hand parts to rebuild.
The frame finish is showing its age with paint chips and surface rust so needs stripping down and repainting, this is where I would like your input I was never overly keen on the original paint scheme and was thinking more 80's english spec finish as seen on some of the new retro style steel bikes coming out now but with the hirame transfers.

what are your views please.
cheers

Phil

Attachments

• hirame1.jpg
    hirame1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 5,278
  • hirame2.jpg
    hirame2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 5,279
  • hirame3.jpg
    hirame3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 5,278
  • hirame4.jpg
    hirame4.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 5,278
I quite like the orginal colour.

For repaint im not sure what the neo retro ones look like but i think paint it white with green and red bands on it (or do the decals red/green).

I think the decals are cool, i like the font.

Keep the fork polished and get all polished parts on it?

Would look stunning.

IF you really felt the need to change the colour, go for this. I nearly cried letting this go, way to small for me but jeez I loved the colour :cool:
3761969232_e83dba0f61_b.jpg

Thats a loverly condition frame dos'nt look like its been used unlike mine, a while back I was looking for an Hirame frame as a project to do a nine speed version, single chainring and nine on the cog less weight and no over lap on the gearing but then I moved to cornwall. Now one of my bikes has a compact front and rear cogs up to 32 teeth and I still had to do some walking on the Cornwall Tor sportive.

cheers
Phil

Frame colour is really personal choice if it needs doing, best to keep original if a classic (the red / black / yellow of Raleigh or "Bianchi blue" for a Bianch for example).

I used to sell gold / bronze metallic bikes and they were a nightmare to touch up so I guess I'm biased LOL

That's a lovely blue metallic above......very "Carlton like" :)

What's the gold stem with the milling down the side?? , I've got a black one but can't remember the manufaturer.

Shaun

Midlife":77nd9q9x said:
Frame colour is really personal choice if it needs doing, best to keep original if a classic (the red / black / yellow of Raleigh or "Bianchi blue" for a Bianch for example).

I used to sell gold / bronze metallic bikes and they were a nightmare to touch up so I guess I'm biased LOL

That's a lovely blue metallic above......very "Carlton like" :)

What's the gold stem with the milling down the side?? , I've got a black one but can't remember the manufaturer.

Shaun
It's a Mavic, came with the bike. Certain I read it came in black also.
That was another regret of selling it on, but it did seem to go nice with it and I haven't had anything in the 2.5 years since I sold it that would have matched so right decision really. Went for £155 through here too.

Attachments

• Mavic Gold Stem.JPG
    Mavic Gold Stem.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 5,129
Back