British Eagle Pro-Carbon

andystevens22

Dirt Disciple
So, about 20 years ago my Dad went bike shopping and came back with this. He says it came from a bike shop in Ashford, Kent, and I think he picked it up in around 1991.

The little I can get from him in the way of a story is that the bike was used as a display bike at a show, possibly on a British Eagle stand, then sold to Dad through this shop in Ashford. It came exactly as it is, the only things that has been changed are the hubs which he upgraded, and the pedals which I upgraded (still have the original components). The bike has a Shimano 105 7 speed groupset which bears the model numbers RD 1055, FD 1055 etc.

I brought it from him a couple of years ago and have been riding it regularly ever since. Its light, quick, responsive, turns into corners beautifully and I love it!

I have seen these around on the net and they are all similar, however I have never seen one set up as a road bike, only ever as mountain bikes. All of the ones I have seen have an aluminium head/steerer tube, while this one is carbon, and this one has front and rear forks set up for the 105 brakes rather than cantilever ones.

So I have decided to give it a bit of TLC and I want to get it back to as close to 1991 as possible. Most of the equipment is fine, and just needs cleaning, some parts I'm going to have to replace. I stupidly didnt take any photos before i stripped it down, im sure my dad has some lying around and I'll try and upload them when i can!

I'm new to all this, so any tips, helpful hints ideas or general advice would be much appreciated!!

Specs:
Frame: British Eagle/Alan Carbon

Fork: Original aluminium forks

Headset: Shimano 105 HP-1055
Stem: 3TTT black
Handlebar: Not sure
Bar Tape: Black/white fade tape

Brake Levers: Shimano 105 BL-1055
Brake Calipers: Shimano 105 BR-1055-49 & BR-1055-57
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano (White housing with red writing)

Shifters: Shimano 105 SL-1055-BCAI & SL-1055-FCAI
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 FD-1055
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 RD-1055
Derailleur Cables: Shimano (White housing with red writing)
Cassette: Shimano CS-HG70
Chain: Shimano CN-HG70
Cranks: Shimano 105 FC-1055-SG
Chainrings: Shimano 1055 SG ???
Bottom Bracket: Not sure
Pedals: Original Shimano cage ones

Rims: Ambrosio clincher "Pristina"???
Hubs: Shimano 600
Hub Skewers: Shimano quick release

Saddle: British Eagle Selle New Style 40 gel
Seatpost: Looks like 3TTT Criterium but has no markings (Dad cut this short for somre reason, can see made in italy and other writing in italian)

Attachments

• IMG_0001 1.jpg
    IMG_0001 1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 3,050
  • IMG_0008 4.jpg
    IMG_0008 4.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 3,052
  • IMG_0009 5.jpg
    IMG_0009 5.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 3,050
  • IMG_0010 6.jpg
    IMG_0010 6.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 3,049
More photos

Here are a few more photos...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 3,041
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 3,041
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 3,041
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 3,041

Get polishing those lugs...they come up a treat!

Do you know any more about the frame...mine's the linky above.

Do you know any more about the frame...mine's the linky above.

I dont know anything about it, other than its a fantastic ride, which I'm sure you are well aware of already.

There arent any serial numbers or unique identifying marks, no names or stamps anywhere, all there is is the size stamped on the bottom bracket shell.

Does anyone know of where to look on the frame for any info?

A day of cleaning, de-greasing and polishing. I have now finished with the frame, so the next stage is to clean components and get it all put back together again. Bar tape is on its way from america, have gone for as close a match to the original black to white fade as i could find. Need to find some new tyres also.

Most importantly i need to sort out a new seat-post and saddle, anyone got any ideas? I'd love to find an original BE one like the ruined one i have, but not sure what to go for if i cant get one!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 2,830
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 2,830

Wow...looks so much better. :cool:

Seatposts can be a pain for these frames...25mm ones are damn rare, Campy, Shimo and Mavic do them but they are going to cost you big bucks!

Use what you have as long as it's inserted far enough, I've a 'USE' black Alein post but it is a straight through if you need something to get you by.

Nice work.

P.S. Is that a seven speed rear end, mines an eight.

Be nice to see afull 600 groupo on it too.

Be nice to see afull 600 groupo on it too.

I think im going to stick with the 105 kit, want to keep it as close to the original as possible, also, Ive just spent a good few hours looking around and its hard to find a 600 group-set in nice condition. Maybe for the next bike i do :)

R.e. the seatpost, I'm going to try and get away with the one i have and if not I'll have a look around for another, its a pain because you are right the 25mm ones are a mission to find!

Im absolutely loving tinkering with the bike though, can't wait to get it finished!!

Think im going to go for a San Marco regal saddle in white :cool: payday tomorrow so i may head out for a little shopping spree!!

Looks good with the polished alloy. I managed to get a no-name 25mm seat post from bankrupt_bike_parts on Ebay very reasonable. Could be worth asking them. It is poor finish, but nothing that hard work will not cure.

Back