Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...just broked my frame!

Way2many

Retro Guru
Any else heard of Chas Bland frames?

Just gave my training bike a check over...found a crack all the way through the rear drive side dropout!

Oh booger...looks like i'm on the lookout for a new frame?

I think he's still on the go, must be getting on a bit though as I remember the name from the dim and distant past LOL

Shouldn't be too difficult to re-braze back in a new rear dropout.... unless you are looking for an excuse to buy something else :D

Shaun

Just found his card frame price list with phone number...guess i'll find out on Monday when i call?

Here's the damage. :(

Very nice frame too.

Attachments

• Snapped dropout.JPG
    Snapped dropout.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 1,509

Spoke with 'Charlie' yesterday...still doing repairs but not building anymore.

Should hopefully be back on the road in fortnight.

P.S. you mean brazed dont you not welded...too much heat and all that.

No, you should be able to weld that without putting enough heat in to melt the braze or affect the strength. The dropout is higher carbon steel, so I'd use MIG with CO2, because it'll be harder a harder weld than with argoshield. File it to a vee, weld it as a series of penetrating tacks letting it cool in between each, dress it back, job done. You could wrap a wet rag round the frame ends if you wanted to stop the heat getting into the braze, but I doubt you'd have to.

Ahhh, just twigged (I think), you mean cut out the fractured segment of dropout and weld in a new fillet of metal keeping the dropout.

I was under the impression that you had to replace the entire dropout by melting all the original brazing and fitting a brand new dropout..

Shaun

Fractured drop-out

I had a similar looking break in one of my frames - and I just had the drop-outs replaced, rather than trying to weld back together. Steve Goff, Skelmersdale, Lancs (just off the M6/M5:cool: did mine 'cos he's local to me, and did a truely excellent job.

Back