Hardworking classic

Ross 1964

Devout Dirtbag
We see so many photos on here of pristine machines that I thought I’d redress the balance with a couple of photos of an old classic in real-world everyday hardworking use.

My old 1985 Raleigh Gran Tour is now in use as a winter trainer in prep for some big Sportives next season (I’m saving for a modern bike for those). I’m using it for my 24 mile round trip commute and then for weekend and midweek night time training (aided by my amazing 900 lumen light!), so it’s been putting in some hard miles.

I live down a very muddy farm track so have no hope of keeping it clean especially as most of my riding is in the dark, so filthy it generally remains. All the important parts are being well lubed though, so it’s running better than it looks!

Since resurrecting it a few months ago I’m really enjoying being back on it. It needs a re-spray but that will wait until I get the new one next year. I’ve got the set up spot-on now, with a combination of old and new components and look forward to many filthy winter miles on it!

Am I the only one on here that uses and abuses an old classic daily? I’m guessing not.

P1030768.jpg

P1030770.jpg

most definatley not , currentley using an elderley Phillips togglechain bike for my daily commute , with another late 70's Bond of liecester racer as my back up bike . neither are immaculate and both have there fair share of wear and tear showing but both are great to ride .

I wouldn't call it a 'classic' (I mostly ride/get retro bikes for nostalgia/looks) but I love the Sun I commute on.

Cost me £20 and all that wanted changing was the tyres.

Nobody seems to want to nick it either, unlike 3 modern bikes I've owned in the past!

I split my commute between an early 90's Raleigh and a late 70's Bob Jackson TT. Old bikes were made to ride!

Good to see some mud on yours!

Great to see! Although I keep my pretty clean they are by no means museum piece and are regularly ridden...

I'd probably stop short of calling it a classic but I bought my Dawes Fox to ride, and ride it I do.

DSC_7857 by RichardB5, on Flickr

I probably wouldn't have brought it down here if I'd remembered how rocky it was, but in general I have no qualms about riding it on farm tracks. All the "sh1t, that MUST have bent something" moments I've had have been on the road where the potholes tend to be more vicious and there is often less opportunity to steer around them.

I don't commute on the bike because my job comes with a van but I would be quite happy to.

Back