Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:17 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Past Projects
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi,

Only just found this forum! I've been having fun rescuing bike from being scrapped for a while now. I've never done a 'period accurate' restoration going more for 'modern parts convince and availability with old school looks'.

First project bike was a Peugeot OU-8 from (I think) 1976. This is what it looked like when I bought it for £10 about 5 years ago:

The bike hadn't been ridden for donkeys years. I pumped the tyres up and went for a quick test ride. The tyres fell apart, the breaks were seized, the bearings collapsed and a brake lever snapped (plastic part). I pretty much raided my spares box for parts to get going again as I was skint at the time. The only parts I had to buy were the tyres and handlebar grips.

Unfortunately this bike was stolen from my garage whilst I was on holiday earlier this year. :(

Next project bike is my 1980's Halfrauds Apollo Equipe. This was a freebie from freecycle. This is what it looked like when I got it:

I had this frameset powder coated and then I built it up with Campy components. This is what it looked like when I was finished:

It was a surprisingly good frame, with a modern design. 135mm OLN and dual pivot allen bolt brakes fitted without any modification. I loved it and it was my 'go to' bike. I did my first audax on this bike (100k) and regularly did 100k+ rides on it. I think I did about 1600km the first year I had it. This bike was also stolen at the same time as the Peugeot. Gutted. :(

Next project bike is my Raleigh Sensor fixie. I got this bike from freecycle at the same time as the Apollo. This is what it looked like:

The bike had a 26" front wheel and a 700C rear... I had this powder coated also. I laced up the rear wheel myself using a MTB front hub and a sprocket that attaches to the disc break mount. This is what it looked like when I was finished:

I used this bike to learn smooth pedal motion and go get the shopping. It was in the garage when I was burgled and was chained to the other two bikes... but they didn't take it! Burglars don't like fixed.

Next I built a bike for a friends birthday. He wanted something fast and fun for on the road riding (he usually rides MTB). I found this alu frame and fork on eBay:

The frame was in much worse shape than the description had lead me to believe, but time was running out as it took the seller 3 weeks to get their arse into gear (and only sent it after I complained to eBay). Anyway, this is what it looked like when I was done:

This was a rattlecan paint job. It was a real arse to fit the trigger shifters on aero bars, but he was adamant that he wanted multi hand positions but didn't want drops.

So, with all the burglary malarky I only have the Raleigh Sensor fixie left in terms of classic bikes. I used the money from the insurance payout to buy a brand new Genesis Day01 Alfine (in bright orange) and a Surly Cross Check in black. This left me without any geared classic steel bikes.

Until a friend of mine bought a house and found a couple of old bikes in the garage. Both appear to be 1970's vintage. One is a Dawes Galaxy and the other a Dawes Ambassador. All the bright work and bearings are shot, but the frame and forks seem OK. Stay tuned for the next project(s)! :D

Jules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Some really nice bikes there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 pm 
Retro Guru

You have put in some serious work there Jules!

I am hoping to find an aluminium fame and fork for my next project. Am currently doing a polished GT, and thought it would be great to do a polished road bike next to match!

Any ideas on manufacturers / frames to search for to filter out the steel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:47 pm 
Dirt Disciple

The Paul Mines (last one above) was an ally frame. It was pretty cheap (about £50) and was a nice ride. If you like GT bikes, you could get a nice triple triangle road frame?