1972 Raleigh Professional Mark IV

kohl57@yahoo.com

Old School Hero
One of the icons of America's "Bike Boom" in the 1970s was the Raleigh Professional, a machine that's unknown to the folks who built it... the British. Proof that Raleigh was a global cycle company which tailored its products to specific markets, this was never sold in the UK but is actually derived from the Carlton Giro d'Italia with an all-Campagnolo specification. As such, it was one of the most sought-after racing bikes of its era and the top of the Raleigh line in the USA c. 1969-1979 with myriad marques and variations.

This is a 1971-built frame that was built up in 1972. Totally original throughout except for the saddle, I bought it a few months ago from the son of the original owner. Said to have only a few 100 miles on it, it sure looks it. Like a NOS bike after 39 years!

Superb ride, very stiff, criterium-like handling and superb build quality from Carlton's Worksop plant. And yes... a big girl, too, about half an inch bigger than I prefer to ride but hey, I wasn't passing up this amazing example of a real classic.

Full details and more pix:

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/Pet ... k+IV+1972/

Attachments

• IMG_2216.JPG
    IMG_2216.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 3,681
  • IMG_2217.JPG
    IMG_2217.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 3,681
  • IMG_2220.JPG
    IMG_2220.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 3,680
  • IMG_2230.JPG
    IMG_2230.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 3,680
Another very nice bike from your stable :)

While ago I got hands on a Raleigh Professional, but it was unlike all Professionals I know of the Raleigh catalogues. I think it was a Carlton Professional, but rebranded 'Raleigh' for the mainland.

It was interesting that even if the name wasn't well known over here that Raleigh stressed the Carlton association in the USA in the catalogue, advertising and the transfers on the Worksop-built frames.

Attachments

• IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 3,602
Carlton built all the high end stuff so I believe, the marque/bran was never pushed over there though - Raleigh wanted all the glory!

Raleigh perfected "branding" in global cycle marketing.... in the USA we even had Carlton made Internationals badged as Dunelts c. 1966-68 to test market the high end stuff here. What was the Carlton Professional to you was sold in the USA in 1968-70 as the Raleigh Mark 1 Professional and 1977-80 as the Mark V Professional. Eveything else in the middle (Mark II, III and IV Pros 1971-76) were really Carlton Giro d'Italias with Raleigh badges, different paint and all-Campag components, a totally different frame and ride. And the entire Raleigh range in the USA was different from that offered in the UK market.

Back