1976 Holdsworth Professional

kohl57@yahoo.com

Old School Hero
Another in my collection, a 1976 Holdsworth Professional Super Record 12.

This was acquired from the second owner in Canada; the original owner purchased the bike in the UK and brought it to Canada.

Many of the components had been switched out and modernised, but this was restored to catalogue spec for the Super Record version of this, the only difference being opting for a Brooks Pro saddle instead of the Unicanitor. Paint is all original and remains brilliant, a real credit to Holdsworth enamelling. She tips the scales at 21.45 lbs.

This is the rare model of the Pro offered only in 1976 with 75 deg angles; just a brilliant, stiff, responsive criterium style ride and handling. Absolutely one of my favourites.

Attachments

• IMG_1899.JPG
    IMG_1899.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 3,285
By the looks of it I immediately accept it will ride good. Very nice.

glorious i had a holdsworth in these colours when i was in my teens , i am unsure what model it was i can just remember it had 531 tubing and same colours as yours .

My first proper bike was a Holdsworth and I was in their shop last month, marvelling over the orange and blue pait of the reissued (and a little overpriced) steel frame. Memories, memories.....

Your bike is absolute class.

Very nice, I like that colour scheme.

For what it's worth, BITD, a local pro rode for Holdsworth and he was quite tall. He found the handling on a big frame with the 75 degree angles somewhat twitchy and bought himself another pair of forks with a longer rake from a local builder. This seemed to cure it for him. I had a timetrial frame with 75 angles which was fine for straight line riding but a bit tricky in tight situations. Lots of toeclip overlap. No wonder they only offered this design for a year.

I used to lust after that bike when Holdsworths was my LBS and I used to spend all my paper round money there. In hindsight, I was just being prepared for Retrobike :LOL: There was something about the orange and blue and all the high end Campag. Completely beautiful.

bike

Glad I have seen this thread and that does look lovely. I have a Holdsworth Special that I bought new in 1979. Its been on my office wall for 15 years and am now seriously thinking of restoring it to its former glory. This is the exact colour scheme I would want to do it to (of course), so thanks for posting and for the inspiration :D

Back