Restored Cougar

Tidy indeed, would also loose the bars and replace them with something more classic/subtle.

It's a Dolan built frame 52cm c-c. There was a little Terry Dolan signature on the top tube but I'm not sure of the tube set. Dura ace mechs, shifters and brakes. Dura ace hubs on open pros. Middleburn road crank. Flite ti. Campag ti seat post. Cinelli stem. You are right about the bars - the ones that are on it are ITMs I had hanging around just to get it on the road - probably go for a pair of cinnelli 64's. Originally it was red blending into classic nineties fluro-yellow, thought I would be a bit more subtle with the respray (courtesy of Argos and a lovely job too!!). I'm not sure about the bar tape - white I think???

Good choice on a more subtle paintjob, it looks real classy. I kinda like the red-ish bartape you have there. I would go with red or black, I think. White might also work out since it will match the white from the decal, but then again I like bartape and saddle to be the same colour so would need a white saddle too. I don't know... :LOL:

Yeah, I'm interested in the bar-tape too for my ongoing Cougar refurb too.
What brand is it?
Been looking for a deep red like that but the kinds I usually can find are a lighter shade than I'm after.
Only similar one I've sourced was the LizardSkins but it's almost 20quid a pack.

This quandry has in fact pointed me in the direction of going for a retro/modern mix so I can just have white tape and red ergo hoods :oops:

The bar tape is Easton, got it from my lbs, it was a couple of years ago as i've had this build planned for ages but i've only got round to it this year.

sk53x12":1hmlrw7e said:
... Originally it was red blending into classic nineties fluro-yellow, thought I would be a bit more subtle with the respray

Interesting, my Cougar (which I am just recommissioning) is flouro yellow faded into a raspberry red. Was this a typical Cougar colour scheme and if so from what year? I am really keen to date my bike - reckon it's around 1997

Love those Middleburn chainsets.

Also like the rear stay/seat binder layout.

6099505907_08b3a34d1b_z.jpg

Back