1985 Peugeot PY-10FC

kohl57@yahoo.com

Old School Hero
I have recently completed restoration of a 1985 Peugeot PY10-FC. This is one of the composite carbon fibre/duraluminium machines made famous by Peugeot's "Foreign Legion" c. 1983-86 (Robert Millar, Phil Anderson et. al.)

Obtained on eBay (France), this is said to have belonged to Philippe Casado who was a member of the Peugeot-Shell team in its final year, 1986.

It has been restored to team specifications including the very rare team issue Simplex LJ4000CP/SP derailleur with factory drilled alloy pulley cage plates,alloy pulley axles, nylon pulley wheels and tension mounting plate. 145 g.

Attachments

• IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 3,987
WOW!!. i used to sit at the counter in my dads bike shop as a 14 yr old and dream about these in the pug brochure's.. LOVELY lookin machine bud!

Here is a close-up of the team issue Simplex derailleur on this machine showing the extensive factory-drilled... cage, pulleys, even the pulley axles.

Attachments

• IMG_2402.JPG
    IMG_2402.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 3,973
that is rather special. Bought a Perthus as that was the nearest i could get to one of these. Good work.

That is excellent!! :D From one pug fan to another. Really good to see one that has not been fecked around with or a made a fixie. There can't be that many examples that are in such an original state.

toomski":3mjfml9e said:
That is excellent!! :D From one pug fan to another. Really good to see one that has not been fecked around with or a made a fixie. There can't be that many examples that are in such an original state.

Thanks.. I've wanted one of these for years even if it I am a "Steel Man" and this will be "it" for me in terms of carbon fibre. The really challenge is finding one that's not beat to death and/or has the brake cable guides not broken off the top tube. I am working with VeloCals (USA) to create a complete set of decals for this model; mine was restored with a mix of originals and their reproductions. Most seem to have been stripped of their primo mid 80s French components but they are easy enough to source if you follow the catalogue specs. Doing it as a real team bike was a challenge and I still hope to find the team edition front derailleur which like the rear one was drilled and lightened to distraction.

The ride is excellent, far better than I anticipated and not nearly the "wet noodle" I've read about; a pleasing mix of lightness, responsiveness (the geometry is ace), a good climber and comfortable over long distances. And mine, at least, is solid as a rock and dead quiet with no sense that it's going to come to pieces when put through its paces.

Back