Peugeot Elite, penguin-coloured

tbc

Dirt Disciple
I bought this bike a month or so ago on Ebay while I was away in Paris, having seen only one low-quality picture of it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220812621...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1156

It looks nice as it is, but I'm going to saw off the handlebars until there's only 2 inches left on either side of the headset, because bikes look better like that, and then convert it into a fixie.

Just kidding! I'm not an arse.

With some temporary new wheels, it looked like this:

5963419885_bff057a357_b.jpg

Over the past weeks, though I'm trying to keep it relatively original, I've done a fair few things to it, namely:

Big clean-up - removed approx. 1 barrel of grease from the freewheel and chain
New wheels & tyres - the old ones were well and truly knacked, but someone still wanted them on Ebay, so fair enough. I bought some nice narrow Rigida rims with Maillard hubs, in great nick, to keep its retro flavour. Schwalbe Luganos the colour of a badger.
New cables & outers - I did a full service at my LBS, which lets you use its workshop and tools if you're a member. Which is also free. New cables, headset bearings greased, etc.
New bar tape - yellow cork tape, appallingly applied, and equally badly re-applied.
Pinhead security skewers - I live and work in North London

The brakes aren't the best, being the original centre-pull Weinmanns, with original blocks and dirty rims. I bought some new Shimano R450s, not knowing they had recessed allen key fitting. Rather than drilling, I have sent them back and will soon order some Tektro brakes that actually fit.

I have just spent a pleasant portion of afternoon with steel wool, cleaning the corrosion off the spokes, scoring the brake blocks, and, following the advice of a bike mechanic, sanding the rims lightly.

The brakes are now working much better, and the bike currently looks like this:

6085967316_03a77d6a17_b.jpg

6085965438_0c30965204_b.jpg

I have also ordered another set of the same Weinmann drilled levers, which I love, but this time without the 'suicide levers' attached.

At some point in the future, I might also get some slightly narrower and straighter mudguards, but apart from that and the new calipers, I'm pretty happy with what I've got. I would gladly welcome any further suggestions though, I am thoroughly addicted to Ebay.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks!

The super shiny wheels were brand new cheap alloys which I put on just so I could ride it straight away.

The less shiny ones on the pictures below are the newer wheels I bought instead, Rigida rims with Maillard hubs. As hard as I brushed these with wire wool, I can't get them to be quite as bright.

Don't worry, I have been!

1am dash around London's bridges and the City on Saturday night, Alexandra Palace yesterday, and Richmond Park today.

As soon as I get rid of those f****** suicide levers hill climbs are going to be a lot more comfortable!

Don't worry, nobody noticed that ;)

I actually don't mind the DT shifters, and although I might eventually swap the ones I have for some that are a bit more comfortable.

What's really annoying is the extension levers on the brakes. Not only are they pretty useless, but the size of the bolt holding them on means that it is nigh on impossible to brake from on the hoods (or where the hoods would be).

tbc":1tqsljfp said:
Don't worry, nobody noticed that ;)

I actually don't mind the DT shifters, and although I might eventually swap the ones I have for some that are a bit more comfortable

read twice post once?? :D :D.. but i'm sure ya got my drift tho :) i speed read it and assumed friction shifters lol

tbc":1tqsljfp said:
What's really annoying is the extension levers on the brakes. Not only are they pretty useless, but the size of the bolt holding them on means that it is nigh on impossible to brake from on the hoods (or where the hoods would be).

'safety levers' apparently!.. horrid things! and look even worse lol

The suicide levers are gone! I managed to get the exact same drilled Weinmann levers without the extensions at a great price on these very forums (cheers dnrc), and they have made a huge difference to the comfort.

The mudguards have gone as well, to be moved onto my new bike/project.

I have also installed a new front brake, a Tektro R358. I have the rear as well, but I have to have the frame drilled first to accomodate the aftermarket mod that had been done to it, unbeknown to me, before I bought it second hand :evil:

The pictures are pretty horrible, but the bike is now lovely. You'll have to take my word for it...

6152950019_e8f7367f40_b.jpg

6153496228_f9241752c6.jpg

Still pending...

-Rear brake fitting - hopefully tomorrow
-New chain/sticking on an old 7-speed Suntour freewheel I have lying around/new derailleur
-New mudguards, possibly SKS narrow unless I get any better suggestions!

I'm trying to keep it as retro as possible, but I lost patience with the Weinmann side-pulls!

Back